Can You Block A Phone # From Coming In?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WHM, Nov 16, 2011.

1. WHM macrumors regular

I have for some reason started receiving a phone solicitation and have asked to take me off their list. Every 2 to 3 days I get another call. I tell them I am reporting them to my state attorney general and they hang up. Their number is not "BLOCKED" from their end so I have the number. Is there a way to block a number on the incoming phone (mine ) so the call will not go through for the caller?

2. blacka4 macrumors 6502

try your carriers webiste. I know verizon wireless has this option to block unwanted numbers.

3. fridayxiii macrumors member

To my knowledge the only way to truly block a caller is through your wireless carrier. If you don't feel like expending that effort a workaround is to add the caller's number to your contacts, upload a silent ringer and assign it to the pest. You'll still see a missed call but at least you won't have to silence/reject/ignore the call.

4. Lya macrumors member

If your phone is jailbroken, try using iBlacklist.

5. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

You didn't mention your carrier. If you're with AT&T, then the feature you'd be looking for is called Smart Limits. (It was envisioned as a mechanism for parents to set limits on their children, but I suppose it should also work for a person who wants to impose some opt-in limitations on themselves.)

Among other things, it allows you to establish a black list of up to 30 numbers which will not be permitted for either incoming or outgoing calls/texts.

Smart Limits costs an additional $5 per month.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB102428&cv=820#fbid=nYb5_lPmYd9

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

This is a major reason why I use Google Voice. No one has the number assigned by my carrier.

GV gives you a few options for handling unwanted calls such as a "number not in service" message, sending calls directly to voicemail and automatically deleting with no notification...

7. salacious macrumors 6502a

I can't remember if it was my g1 or blackberry that could do this when I found out my 4s couldn't I was pretty pissed I have this annoying girl calling me all the time there should be a caller divert option as standard on this phone!!!

8. outie2k macrumors regular

I don't know if you use Google voice for voicemail, but if you do you can just block that # from Google voice.

It will still ring your phone, but don't pick up and let it forward to Google voice mail. At that point the caller will hear "this is a disconnected #". When this happens the caller usually take you off the list since there's no point calling a disconnected # and it will cost them money to call a bad number.

9. stickybuns macrumors 6502

Just out of curiosity: are you (have you) reported the caller to the state attorney general?

From what I understand, you actually aren't supposed to ask to be taken OFF of their list, but rather to be put ON their Do Not Call list. Are you on the National Do Not Call Registry? www.donotcall.gov It's done a good job cutting down on solicitation calls.

10. SomeonePlzHelp macrumors regular

Like everyone else said, call your carrier and tell them this number is harassing you. They can block it.
    Good luck with the attorney and everything.

11. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

It's a shame that the latest iPhone is still missing basic features that can be found on a dumbphone.

12. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I used to get these calls until I found out about AT&T Smart Limits. I had several, at least 5 that would call me every day, at random times. Even if I pick it up, then end call, they'll call again. Or I'll pick up and put the phone in front of the TV and you can hear them yelling and eventually they stop and call again. When I finally talked to them, they were the ones that was irate. They were the ones that was giving me attitude and screaming -- that should have been me.

About the Do Not Call registry is all good and all and it works but it has its limits. It only works for US based companies. All bets are off if they are international. You'd think the caller ID would have some weird number, but no it has a perfectly looking US number. They probably use some spoofing stuff, who knows. Calling back that caller ID yields nothing, more often than not, there's no answer at all.

So some of these harassment phone calls can be stemming from international business, with spoofs caller IDs. So, putting your name on the Do Not Call list since they don't follow those regulations. And unfortunately, reporting them is an entirely different matter since it is international. So I don't even know how if I wanted to. Thats why I'm so thankful for ATT Smart Limits. Hopefully they'll back off now, if not I keep adding their new "numbers".