Can you block calls from "unknown" callers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SpottieOttie, Jan 1, 2015.

1. SpottieOttie macrumors newbie

I know you can block calls from numbers, but what about when you get a call from "unknown"? Is it possible to block unknown?

2. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

3. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Unknown would be any number not in your contact list. There is a option to maje it so that you can only recieve texts and calls from your contacts

4. IrishVixen, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015

IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I'd love it if that were true, but the only way to do that on a stock phone is to use Do Not Disturb all the time, set to allow calls from all contacts. Which then blocks ALL other notifications. That's not a practical solution for most people. It also blocks text alerts, as DND also blocks texts from coming through, even from your contacts. (And a lot of people really dislike the idea of blacklisting all calls except contacts, for various reasons, but that's a separate issue.)

If you know otherwise, please detail where to find such settings, because people have been looking for this functionality since the iPhone first came out, and you're the first person I've seen say it's possible. I'd love to know of a non jailbreak solution to this that doesn't mean losing things like calendar alerts, so it can be recommended to those who are resistant to jailbreaking their phones.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Setting your ohone to block all callers not in your contacts is a bandaid for unknown caller blocking, and a terrible one IMO. I would assume most want to sinply block only unknown callers (no caller ID or no phone number listed) and not "every single call that comes in wherein don't know said number".

Unfortunately it's not an option :(

6. compwiz1202 macrumors regular

GRR I don't understand why they don't fix that bug with blocking text notifications from allowed contacts with DND on. I would love to be able to forever block notifications from non-contacts if that bug was fixed. They can still leave voicemails. Even blocked callers can leave voicemails.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Is it actually a bug? DND is defined as blocking all notifications aside from phone calls from said white listed contacts. I have no idea why apple chooses to do this but it seems to me it's bu design.

8. compwiz1202 macrumors regular

Seems weird it wouldn't be a bug. A ringtone from an allowed contact would disturb me more than a text notification.

9. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Personal opinion only: I suspect Apple thinks that DND as a function is meant to only disturb you in a real emergency, and that its use is meant to be for a limited duration only. As such, they limit the notifications that get through to phone calls only.

Think blocking drunk dials at night while allowing a "my car has a flat tire, can you get me?" call from a loved one.

It's not meant to be used as a general blacklist/whitelist ability, and it's a poor replacement for such.