Can you block numbers that aren't in your contacts with iOS 7?

0dev

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
Just a quick question, I'd check myself on my iPhone 4 but it won't let me into the phone settings since I don't have SIM in it right now.

Is there a way on iOS 7 that I can add a number to be blocked without adding it to my contacts and without that number being on the recent calls list? Like I want to just bring up the blocking feature, hit add, and type in a number without that number having to be in my contacts. I can do this on Android but can I do it on iOS 7?

Thanks in advance!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Westmere
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Just a quick question, I'd check myself on my iPhone 4 but it won't let me into the phone settings since I don't have SIM in it right now.

Is there a way on iOS 7 that I can add a number to be blocked without adding it to my contacts and without that number being on the recent calls list? Like I want to just bring up the blocking feature, hit add, and type in a number without that number having to be in my contacts. I can do this on Android but can I do it on iOS 7?

Thanks in advance!
I just add unwanted numbers to a contact called spam caller. Then all those numbers are blocked.

snowcrash

macrumors regular
May 30, 2011
Boston MA, USA
You could always just add the number to contacts, block it, then delete the contact. Kind of a pain but would be a workaround for it.

Other then that I don't know of any way to add a number that isn't on your contacts or recent call list.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
I just add unwanted numbers to a contact called spam caller. Then all those numbers are blocked.
Yeah but there are people I want to block who I don't want showing up in WhatsApp etc. I know I can block them in there too but it's just a pain the ass, I'd rather them not be in my contacts at all.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Dial the number you want to block. End the call before it connects. Go to recent calls in the Phone app, block the number from there. (Optionally delete it from the recent calls list.)

0dev

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
Dial the number you want to block. End the call before it connects. Go to recent calls in the Phone app, block the number from there. (Optionally delete it from the recent calls list.)
Good idea, if that works it's a good enough workaround. Shame a workaround is required for blocking a number without it being in the contacts but at least there is one.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
I'm on Verizon and I just block them via the Verizon website. Not sure if that's an option for you.
I'm in the UK, our networks can't block numbers. They could give me a new number but that's just a hassle.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
That only gives you 5 numbers for 90 days though, right?
Yep you are correct unless you subscribe to FamilyBase to permanently block incoming and outgoing calls from up to 20 U.S. or international phone numbers. Thats taken from the site.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
No other way of doing it aside from those possibilities unfortunately.
Yes, I hadn't thought about it at all until this thread. And now that I know, it seems like a partial implementation (like many other new Apple features / services but I don't want to take the thread off topic).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes, I hadn't thought about it at all until this thread. And now that I know, it seems like a partial implementation (like many other new Apple features / services but I don't want to take the thread off topic).
Well, it's true that there's no option to quickly add a number to blocked numbers, but that's kind of the only limitation. I wouldn't really call it partial but perhaps one that doesn't offer all of the possible options. It's possible that Apple designed it like that for a reason too, like perhaps people are more prone to possibly making typos if they were just able to put a number on their own, rather than add a proper one for sure from contacts or recent calls. But, yeah, it can be improved/enhanced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.