Can you block numbers that aren't in your contacts with iOS 7?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by 0dev, Dec 16, 2013.

1. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Just a quick question, I'd check myself on my iPhone 4 but it won't let me into the phone settings since I don't have SIM in it right now.

Is there a way on iOS 7 that I can add a number to be blocked without adding it to my contacts and without that number being on the recent calls list? Like I want to just bring up the blocking feature, hit add, and type in a number without that number having to be in my contacts. I can do this on Android but can I do it on iOS 7?

Thanks in advance!

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I just add unwanted numbers to a contact called spam caller. Then all those numbers are blocked.

3. snowcrash macrumors regular

snowcrash

You could always just add the number to contacts, block it, then delete the contact. Kind of a pain but would be a workaround for it.

Other then that I don't know of any way to add a number that isn't on your contacts or recent call list.

4. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

5. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

aaaaaand that brings you to the option to block a contact, not a number not in your contacts already.

6. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

Yeah but there are people I want to block who I don't want showing up in WhatsApp etc. I know I can block them in there too but it's just a pain the ass, I'd rather them not be in my contacts at all.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Dial the number you want to block. End the call before it connects. Go to recent calls in the Phone app, block the number from there. (Optionally delete it from the recent calls list.)

8. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

Good idea, if that works it's a good enough workaround. Shame a workaround is required for blocking a number without it being in the contacts but at least there is one.

9. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Weird. I already have 2 numbers in there that are not in my contacts.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Perhaps from the recent calls list or some previous contact that's not there now?

11. zone23 macrumors 68000

I'm on Verizon and I just block them via the Verizon website. Not sure if that's an option for you.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

That only gives you 5 numbers for 90 days though, right?

13. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

I'm in the UK, our networks can't block numbers. They could give me a new number but that's just a hassle.

14. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Five responses so far telling the OP to do exactly what he said he didn't want to do.

15. zone23 macrumors 68000

Yep you are correct unless you subscribe to FamilyBase to permanently block incoming and outgoing calls from up to 20 U.S. or international phone numbers. Thats taken from the site.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

No other way of doing it aside from those possibilities unfortunately.

17. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Yes, I hadn't thought about it at all until this thread. And now that I know, it seems like a partial implementation (like many other new Apple features / services but I don't want to take the thread off topic).

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, it's true that there's no option to quickly add a number to blocked numbers, but that's kind of the only limitation. I wouldn't really call it partial but perhaps one that doesn't offer all of the possible options. It's possible that Apple designed it like that for a reason too, like perhaps people are more prone to possibly making typos if they were just able to put a number on their own, rather than add a proper one for sure from contacts or recent calls. But, yeah, it can be improved/enhanced.