can you build a powerless external HD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 4fingered, Oct 21, 2008.

1. 4fingered macrumors member

Would it be possible to build an external HD that didn't have it's own power supply and just used power from your computer through FW 800? It's a pain dragging around the extra cord and power supply.

2. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Yes you can get power from a FW800 port, they have external enclosures on macsales.com, I don't know if you're looking for a 2.5" or a 3.5" enclosure but here's a decent 2.5" enclosure

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I'm pretty sure it's going to have to be a 2.5" drive if it is going to be bus-powered by USB or Firewire. The 3.5" drives draw too much juice.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

4. 4fingered thread starter macrumors member

2.5 is what I'm looking for anyway. thanks for the quick response guys. I see these drives are made of plastic. Is there a chance of the drive overheating not being in a metal enclosure? another quick question. You don't know if they make any good 7200rpm 2.5" 500GB drives yet do they?

5. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

as far as I can tell from a quick look at newegg the only 500gb ones are 5400

6. 4fingered thread starter macrumors member

yeah that's all I could spot too. I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer for those.

7. 4fingered thread starter macrumors member

so is heat not a problem with this external enclosure? also is there anything a bit cheaper that doesn't need a powersupply