Can you burn a app to a DVD for safekeeping?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by horace528, Jun 16, 2011.

1. horace528 macrumors regular

horace528

Hi
    I am planning to burn the 'Install Mac OS X Lion' app for safekeeping.
    I have a nice DVD that has about 4.7 GB ready, which I think is perfect for burning the 'Install Mac OS X Lion' app.
    But I am curious that the burning would work.
    I do think it would work, but would the app work when I click on it when I insert the DVD?

Hope I'm not asking a foolish question... :confused::confused:

Thanks
    :apple::apple:

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Nice choice of sub-forum there :rolleyes:

We honestly don't know yet, I haven't found the developer previews of Lion to be bootable when burnt to a DVD but others have so... *shrug* Even though they were just disk images inside an application.

The answer is yes, assuming that Apple uses the same distribution packaging as they did with the dev previews (eg DMG inside an application, no DRM).

3. smoge macrumors regular

smoge

4. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

Yes, atleast for Lion, you can even make it a bootable DVD or USB drive. Personally, I imaged a USB stick with the dmg found buried in the app store download and it was bootable.

5. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

Why the hell do you care? Why do fanboys get their panties in a bunch if people want to pirate Mac OS discs? Some Mac users are suffering from harsh financial difficulties due to a bad economy, and are not spoiled kids who have trust funds like many Apple fanboys do. I'm not advocating software piracy here, I'm just saying that the loud fanboys that have a knee-jerk reaction any possible mention of OS piracy should mind their own business.

Yeah, God forbid people pirate Mac OS discs and keep them and others tied into the Apple ecosystem which will likely result in them purchasing Apple hardware in the future.

Also, Apple isn't so angelic in their behavior. Apple has stolen from many individuals and companies. The numerous patent lawsuits filed against Apple over the years is proof of that.

6. horace528 thread starter macrumors regular

horace528

Safekeeping

Yes, It's for safekeeping.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"We honestly don't know yet, I haven't found the developer previews of Lion to be bootable when burnt to a DVD but others have so... *shrug* Even though they were just disk images inside an application."

I can state with assurance that you CAN burn the Lion .dmg file to DVD and then install from the DVD copy.

I have done EXACTLY that, more than once.

With DP4, I did the following:
    1. Used Disk Utility to burn to a DVD blank (it fit onto a 4.7gb DVD without problems)
    2. Booted the Mac from the DVD (2007 white Intel iMac, Core 2 Duo)
    3. Ran Disk Utility from the DVD, to initialize and repair a "spare" partition. (The drive in question was actually a "bare" drive sitting in a USB/SATA "docking station")
    4. Run the Installer from the DVD and installed a fresh copy of DP4 onto the empty partition (a couple of "in progress reboots" are now required, the installer now puts up a message that a reboot is going to occur)
    5. Ended up with a good, bootable copy of DP4 on my docked drive.
    6. Have since used Software Update to run the DP4 updater.

8. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Well, I would make a DVD to install it from scratch.

I don't like to just upgrade from one major version to another. I prefer to start clean and install additional software as needed.

Well, I may try to upgrade first as a test, but having an installation DVD would be necessary in case something goes wrong.

9. BlackMangoTree macrumors 6502a

Why wont Apple just tell us if we can burn it to disk officially. Why not offer it on a disc in the first place. Most broadband speeds in AUstralia are 1.5mb 150k download speed will take forever to download and not forget lots are still on dialup.

The Apple of yesterday are gone. All these icrap things have ruined Apple.

This is going to be the biggest disaster launching of an OS.

10. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

This whole post made me lol... Its like what difference does it make? Its not you then dont worry and also, like anyone person in their logical right mind would admit it was for piracy lol.

11. BlackMangoTree macrumors 6502a

I would admit to it and will. Snow Leopard is pirated on this Mac i bought a single licence and installed it on 4 Macs.

12. Meriana macrumors member

I don't think you need to burn the Lion App to DVD.

-I assume that if you get your harddisk exchanged at an Apple aathorized service provider/apple store they'll probably at least will preload the recovery partition of Lion to it.

-if you're the average user and don't mess around with the harddisk partitions yourself OUTSIDE the disk utily, you can always redownload/install Lion by booting into the recovery partition Lion creates.

If you don't have access to a reliable internetconnection at home, you should be able to burn the Lion to DVD. IT was said somewhere it'll not be officially supported but they won't prevent it in the release version of Lion.

13. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Wow, talk about getting your panties in a bunch! :p

By the way, people/companies file lawsuits all the time. It doesn't mean they have any merit.

14. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

You should be locked away for life in the same wing as the nonces for an act like that.

:)

15. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

Damn, too much caffeine today?

I'm guessing that Mac users suffering from harsh financial difficulties probably don't *need* to upgrade at all. As for the last paragraph, I'm trying to remember some phrase about two wrongs not equaling a right.. can't quite put my finger on it though.