Can you burn AVCHD files to Blu-ray with Toast

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by CMD is me, Aug 26, 2008.

1. CMD is me macrumors 6502

Is there a way with Toast (or other) to burn the AVCHD clips off of a SD reader onto a DVD-R for playback in a Blu-ray player?

I've been playing around with different import/export settings on my AVCHD camera and it just is no where near as good as the original. Even watching the imported .MOV file along side the original AVCHD source. The 1080 import looses much of its life-like quality. As much as I love to make mini home movies, without a HDV or AVCHD native editing app (like FCP), HD only looks like true HD through the camera.

Correction: turns out it was actually my MacBook Pro DVI out settings are the problem. The DVI > projector is only seeing 900 interlaced, and it doesn't look like 900i -- more like really good standard def. I'm sorting out what is going on.

Still interested in hearing how people are playing back HD on Bluray and PS3

2. Cmu93 macrumors member

I've never taken AVCHD directly from the stick to Toast, but I have made movies in iMovie and FCE and then burned them to a standard DVD using the Blu Ray AVCHD setting in Toast... they play back in full HD on my Ps3.

3. CMD is me thread starter macrumors 6502

How much HD footage can you get on a single DVD-R and which camera do you have?

4. Cmu93 macrumors member

Right, my stuff is still going to AIC first, but I'm not really seeing the loss in quality you mention. I have the Canon HF100, I do my recording in 1440x1080, so iMovie or FCE won't have to change much, since that's the native rez of AIC.

Toast will put about 30 minutes of HD on a standard DVD-R. At least that's what I've heard, I've only put about 20 minutes so far, and it looks awesome!

5. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

I doubt it's the transcoding that's making it lose its "lifelike quality" — it's probably the way you are viewing on your computer.

I haven't used iMovie '08 (if that's what you're using) but it probably plays your footage at a sort of mangled 30p rather than its native (again, I'm assuming) 60i. Likewise, playing the AIC file in Quicktime Player will not give you proper 60i.

Or it could be that the colour doesn't look as vibrant, and that could be down to your monitor and its calibration...

6. CMD is me thread starter macrumors 6502

You are correct! (see my OP correction)

Apple Intermediate Codec is a lossy format (some loss can occur in decoding/encoding). For more on this see my topic "AVCHD camera playback vs iMovie import." ....now back to Toast :)

7. CMD is me thread starter macrumors 6502

Who here has a AVCHD camcorder and a Blu-ray player?

Just read on another site where someone said you can save the AVCHD contents (data files) on a dual layer DVD (just burn the SD contents to a DVD) and Bluray players would play it. Only issue is you can't edit the clips, but you can store an hour per DVD... don't know if you need Toast for this and I don't have a Bluray player to test it on.