Can you buy a dock adapter?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by busterbluth, Jul 17, 2008.

1. busterbluth macrumors 6502

I still havent been able to get my hands on an iphone, so I need some help from those that have. Is there a included dock adapter for ipod stereos? Are they available for purchase at the apple store yet?

Also, if anyone has a logitech pure fi elite, does it charge the new 3G? I dont want to spend 40 bucks on a dock! Thanks guys

2. higgalls macrumors regular

Hey,

There is no included Dock adapter with the iPhone.

Whether any other docks you have will depend on 2 things.

Firstly, whether they accomodate the new shape of the 3G iPhone back.

Secondly, whether they use the Firewire charging points in the old iPhone, or the USB ones. See my understanding is that it has been changed. I believe a lot of the good quality accessories used both, but if it used only the Firewire points in the phone (which were a higher voltage), then your phone will either not work with it, or bring up a message about it not being compatible (or something like that).

I think there is a dock adapter for the old dock on the Apple website though (if I remember correctly). EDIT: here is the link on the Australian Apple site: http://store.apple.com/au/product/MB546G/A?mco=MTIxODk3Mw

3. brian5 macrumors member

brian5

Apple Store (USA) has the "iPhone 3G Universal Dock Adapter 3-Pack" for $9. This'll work only for products that use Universal Dock system.

4. higgalls macrumors regular

As in it will allow the iPhone 3G to dock into products that use the Universal Dock system, or it will allow other products to use the 3G iPhone dock? I have been a bit confused by this product, as people are reporting it doesn't work.

5. Sphyrna macrumors regular

I'm assuming it's a dock connector to let you use your 3G iPhone with a universal dock. It doesn't guarentee your iPhone 3G will work with the universal dock though. It just means it will fit. I have the Keyspan AV Dock and it works with my iPhone 3G (although it does tell me it's not made for it and asks if I want to turn on airplane mode). I thought about getting these so it has a perfect fit but my question is why a 3 pack? I only have 1 dock, thus only need 1 adapter.

6. higgalls macrumors regular

Yeah I'm also confused by the 3 pack. Most people would only have 1 dock, and if you buy more, then you would expect to have to buy several dock adapters, rather than having to force everyone to buy 3.

7. mntentman macrumors regular

Apparently Apple has changed the Universal Dock over the years, I have two or three different ones, none of which look like the only currently being sold... and although the new iPhone will fit in one of them (which I used for an iPod touch), it gives me the "will not work" message.