Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NumNumNum

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
I was planning to buy a refurb Macbook Pro 15", but a friend of mine says he has a Best Buy (in Canada) connection that can get him an incredible deal on a display/open box MBP.

I'm obviously wary of buying a MBP that people have been banging on on the shelf for the past 6 months. Does anyone know if you can buy applecare on this kind of item? My friend's pretty sure you can get a Best Buy warranty but those are notoriously under-honoured.

I also welcome any comments regarding the pros/cons of buying an open box laptop.

Thanks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You can buy AppleCare on any Mac that is still covered by the original 1-year warranty.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Yes

I was planning to buy a refurb Macbook Pro 15", but a friend of mine says he has a Best Buy (in Canada) connection that can get him an incredible deal on a display/open box MBP.

I'm obviously wary of buying a MBP that people have been banging on on the shelf for the past 6 months. Does anyone know if you can buy applecare on this kind of item? My friend's pretty sure you can get a Best Buy warranty but those are notoriously under-honoured.

I also welcome any comments regarding the pros/cons of buying an open box laptop.

Thanks!

It's a new albeit a display product...AppleCare is a good idea normally, but even more so in this. Case.....spend a little of the mo ey you save on it

NumNumNum

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thanks for the replies! The best buy emPlyee says that he can get me a display unit early 2011 15" MBP for 850. If I can buy AppleCare on it that's totally worth it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.