Can you buy apps/games with an iTunes gift card?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by becky280, May 6, 2009.

1. becky280 macrumors member

It'll let me buy movies and TV episodes but when I try to buy a game it tells me it will be charging my credit card? Is that normal?

2. becky280 thread starter macrumors member

3. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Of course, you can buy apps/games with an iTune gift card.

I don't know about the specifics (I use my CC), but I have read you don't even need a CC to set up your iTunes account because you can use a gift card.

Hopefully somebody will come along with more info. :)

4. becky280 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, you'd think you could... I don't want to charge the credit card, that's the whole reason why I bought the gift card!! :(

5. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Yes if you have an iTunes Gift Card it will use the remaining balance. I think you'd prob have to switch your "default payment method" or something like that.

6. becky280 thread starter macrumors member

I am so confused. Why would I need to do that, though? It works just fine when I buy movies and TV episodes. It deducted from my gift card total perfectly. But when I click to buy an app, it says it will charge my credit card. Where do I go to fix this?

7. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Why don't you test it then, buy like a cheap 99cent app and see where it goes. If it deducts your gift card balance then hip hip hurrah it works. If not then maybe you just need to remove your credit card from the payment options.

8. becky280 thread starter macrumors member

I'm starting to think that gift cards just don't work for apps. I removed the credit card, tried to purchase a TV show, it worked. I tried to purchase an app, and it says I need a method of payment in order to perform that action and prompts me to enter my credit card number. What the hell.

9. cawesjmu macrumors 6502