Can you buy subsidized iPhone on Verizon and the switch immediately to T-Mobile?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tirexstorm, Sep 18, 2014.

1. tirexstorm macrumors regular

I am currently on Verizon and pre-ordered an iphone 6 from them. I am considering switching to to T-Mobile. Can I take my subsidized iphone 6 over to T-mobile and have T-Mobile pay my ETF and keep my subsidized phone? I feel like there has to be a catch or that I am missing something.

2. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

You have to give TMobile a phone for that to occur. Just buy some cheap one off CL and then TMo will pay off the ETF

3. tirexstorm thread starter macrumors regular

Can I give them my iphone 5?

4. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Sure. Anything. Maybe you'd want to keep that? Pick up an old BB off CL

5. NoCleverSNForMe macrumors regular

You have to turn in your Verizon phone to T-Mobile then buy another iPhone 6 from T-Mobile. The ETF promotion is only applicable with a trade-in and purchase of another device from T-Mobile.

PS Some folks have been able to get around this by turning in a flip phone to T-Mobile, but in my opinion, it's just too messy. My concern would be that T-Mobile would not pay you because the Verizon ETF on a flip phone is $200 and smartphones is $350.

Much easier to buy the phone directly from T-Mobile, like I just did. ;)

----------

If you have a Verizon iPhone 5, sure! That would work. But again - why would you buy an iPhone 6 from Verizon, have T-Mobile pay the ETF...then buy another iPhone 6 from T-Mobile?

Remember, it's BOTH the trade-in AND purchase of a new device.

From the T-Mobile website: In order to qualify for this ETF offer, you must be switching from a postpaid plan on a contract with another carrier and port your current numbers to T-Mobile. You would need to trade-in a mobile phone or tablet and purchase a new device with T-Mobile.

6. kornberg macrumors member

Can you buy subsidized iPhone on Verizon and the switch immediately to T-Mobile?

Buy a cheap phone off of craigslist and trade that into t-mobile. I did it for 3 lines. Traded in 3 iPhone 3G's and got a credit of 50 per phone. The cheapest phone that I've found is the Alcatel one touch and it's 120.

7. turbineseaplane macrumors 68030

turbineseaplane

Just for clarity.

If you're a T-Mobile Prepaid customer, you can simply pop your SIM card into the Verizon iPhone 6 and be working instantly (since Verizon iPhones are all GSM unlocked).