Can You Buy SuperDrives Separately from the Apple Store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stephenmckeague, Apr 29, 2009.

1. stephenmckeague macrumors member

Hey Guys, sorry for possibly stupid question but I can't find any info on ...

If I buy a mac pro, on the options screen I get the option to put a second superdrive in it. I can't see these superdrive as separate store items, as I might want to just get 1 with the Mac Pro and add one myself at a later date.

Does anyone know if the internal drives are sold separately? (seems weird that the wouldn't be)

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Just buy one for thirty dollars (as opposed to 100) from OWC.

3. stephenmckeague thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply, buy I'd want the official one (that would have come with my Mac Pro as BTO)

I can't find it listed in the apple store though. Searching for SuperDrive brings up nothing :( Do apple even sell it?

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

No, only through their technician site which you need to be certified to access.

5. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

Sure - seek out a Pioneer DVR-112D - it is the "official one" that comes with the MacPro - click here for Pioneer's spec - (or even better DVR-112 - this gives you DVD-RAM writing facilities as well).

Just clip off the bezel from the front of the drawer/tray and drop it in!

Don't pay more than 12 GBP delivered (about 20 USD??) - here on eBay in UK. Must be similar in US.

Attached Files:

6. stephenmckeague thread starter macrumors member

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

OWC sells only official ones.