Can you cancel the iPhone 3G data plan, as long as you still extend your contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by wildonrio, Oct 8, 2008.

1. wildonrio macrumors 6502

My friend has AT&T already (with a Blackjack) and is eligible for an upgrade, so he is considering iPhone 3G. The only problem is, he has an older 3G data plan that only costs him $19.99 a month that he would love to use with iPhone 3G. He's on a family plan with his wife who wants his blackjack, but doesn't care about a data plan. Tell me if this will work:

1. Use the upgrade on his wife's phone instead of his phone to get the iPhone 3G, subsequently extending his contract by 2 years.
    2. Immediately cancel the iPhone data plan and say that he isn't planning on using the iPhone with service currently (but still accepts the contract extension).
    3. Use a Turbo SIM to unlock the iPhone 3G, stick his Blackjack SIM into the iPhone 3G and give the Blackjack to his wife.

With iPhone 3G unlocked, his old 3G data plan should work just fine as long as it's unlocked, correct? I guess my biggest question is, can you get an iPhone 3G and then cancel the data plan, as long as you accept the fact that your contract has been extended for 2 years?

2. TheBigLebowski macrumors newbie

Nope...the iPhone 3G requires the $30 iPhone data plan. As per the agreement you sign when buying the phone, you have to keep the data plan. If your buddy wanted to try this, he'd have to buy the iPhone from a third party (at whatever the going rate is). He's not going to be able to have his cake & eat it by buying a cheap iPhone 3G from AT&T.