Can you change Notification sounds to custom ringtone types?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AnimalPaintball, Feb 9, 2008.

1. AnimalPaintball macrumors regular

AnimalPaintball

What I would like to do is be notified of incoming texts, messages, etc... but not with the standard bells/glass/horns,...Instead I would like to use a custom sound, like a ringtone.

Is this possible?

Thnx
    mondo

2. biffstephens macrumors newbie

I would like to know this too

3. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

what do you mean by notifications, like ical event ones, there is no sound option for them so no. but if you mean alarms, in the clock application, yes you can

edit - i just noticed that you were talking about text notifications, then no there are only 6 sound options for texts

4. hobo macrumors regular

Do this at your own risk!

You need to go into the iPhone using SSH. Navigate to the folder /System/Library/Audio/UISounds.

there will be six files in that folder that correspond to SMS tones:

sms-received1.caf -> Tri-tone
    sms-received2.caf -> Chime
    sms-received3.caf -> Glass
    sms-received4.caf -> Horn
    sms-received5.caf -> Bell
    sms-received6.caf -> Electronic

Make a very short sound into a file with the .m4a ending, then change the .m4a to .caf. After you've backed up the original file from the iPhone, rename YOURS to the name of the file on the iPhone you want to replace. Place your replacement in that folder on the iPhone. Restart your iPhone.

When you go to the SMS sound now, the one you replaced will have the same title, but will be your sound. You can now use it.

NOTE that you need a small file size, the iPhone may choke on larger file sizes from my experience. I've only done this on 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 but I assume nothing has changed.

5. AnimalPaintball thread starter macrumors regular

AnimalPaintball

Sounds a bit tricky for my hacking abilities (or lack there of) :D

Thnx for the info, it is much appreciated
    Mondo

6. hidehide macrumors 6502

I dont think it will play a modified file..
    Plus, if he can access it thru ssh, that means he is jailbroken. Then he can install customize and change anything in the phone.

You need to jailbreak to reach your phone's full potential.
    If you are jailed, Im sorry. You have waste your money on the iPhone.
    I paid $399 for all function, while you paid $399 for 50% functions :cool:

7. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

no you dont, the phone is a great phone without jailbreaking it. if people dont want to jailbreak then dont worry about it. its their phone and they do what they want with it:mad:

8. hobo macrumors regular

Jailbreaking can be useful, but I enjoyed my phone as much before. Also, it WILL play modified files, I wouldn't have posted it unless I'd tried it and heard other success stories.

The iPhone will look for the name of a file - not the content. That's why you can change the vibration settings in the .plist file and the ring volume (in some cases, not all!). If it sees a file named correctly, it will try and open it. It just so happens that .aif and .m4a are handled the same as .caf by the iPhone so it will play.