Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
When I ordered the iPhone 5s at 12:00AM I failed to notice the expediated shipping option. Can I call to have it changed? Or should I forget it since these customer service reps have made mistakes before and you have a xhance of losing your place in the queue?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Nope, unless you want to cancel and reorder it and that means getting in the back of the virtual line.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Nope, unless you want to cancel and reorder it and that means getting in the back of the virtual line.

Curious to know if this isn't something that can't be done by calling Apple. I've changed shipping speed of a computer before, but not an iPhone. A phone call had to be made though.

Beezy253

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Tacoma, WA
If you have the patience, I'm pretty sure you could call the Sales department and have them change the shipping speed?

I actually got my $10.00 shipping fee waived for the 30+ minute hold time.

sparkhill

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
Here is what Apple says...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 12.56.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 12.56.04 AM.png
    89.8 KB · Views: 849

sparkhill

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
So, after posting the above, I called Apple and they were able to change the shipping speed to expedited. I was told the phone is coming from overseas, the phone would arrive one day earlier Sep 27-Oct 1, and the cost was $6.00.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Heh I did that one time back in the day of the first MBA launch. The thing came on its originally estimated date anyway... turned out that at that time, FedEx was not actually coming to this stretch of the boondocks every day. Learned my lesson, even if FedEx has since learned theirs and trundles through this area every day now. I just let the stuff show up when it shows up.

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Hmm. I called up about the expediated shipping and he said when he did it, it didn't make a difference in delivery date. Anyway when I now look at my order it says : Sep 27 - Oct 1 by 2-3 Business Days and I didn't have to pay any extra money so I guess I'm happy. Weird.

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Looks like the customer rep actually did change the shipping speed. I got a confirmatory change e-mail. Cut and pasted here...

----
Order Change Confirmation

Dear XXXXX XXXXXX,
We updated your order with the following changes:

Shipping Method updated:
2-3 Business Days

Item Details

Delivers Sep 27 - Oct 1 by 2-3 Business Days

iPhone 5s 32GB Space Gray (GSM)

Visit online Order Status for the most up-to-date information about your order.

The Apple Online Store

Baf110

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
I can also confirm that phone reps are able to change the speed to expedited shipping after you ordered. I placed an order at 3:01am EST and just called the 800 number and spoke to a friendly rep who changed it for me free of charge. Previously order showed arriving Sept. 30-Oct. 3 and now it shows Sept. 27-Oct.1. Hope this helps.

UPDATE: I also just received an e-mail confirmation confirming the shipping speed changed to 2-3 days (coming from overseas) and "Delivers Sep 27 - Oct 1"

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
They are all coming together in batches at the same speed. Expedited shipping does nothing on iPhone launches. I placed 2 orders for a 5 last year one with the paid expedited and one with the free option and they showed up on the same day. Different trucks, but the same day. I think the free shipping one may have been at my door earlier in the day too.

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Well there was a $10 expediated option this time. Maybe because it is not a pre-order scenario this time? Anyway I got it changed to expediated and they didn't mess up the order or charge me, so no harm no foul.

brinycbri

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
Well there was a $10 expediated option this time. Maybe because it is not a pre-order scenario this time? Anyway I got it changed to expediated and they didn't mess up the order or charge me, so no harm no foul.

me tooooo. i still think it speeds up from the US hub to your door rather than from asia to the US hub

wermy

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2013
I'd like to call and change my shipping method, does anyone have the number?

Also to the people saying this won't change shipping time because they call come over in batches from China... Once they get to the US, they still have to be shipped to folks' houses. This could shave off a few days for me, living in the midwest.

IamFaustus

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2009
I called but no dice. The guy I talked to was in Portland OR. He told me he could not change my shipping to expedite the order without sending me to the bottom of the queue. He said my expected delivery of the 30 to the 2nd was much better than other orders he has seen. It was worth a try.

BMNEUR

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2013
Louisville
I'd like to call and change my shipping method, does anyone have the number?

Also to the people saying this won't change shipping time because they call come over in batches from China... Once they get to the US, they still have to be shipped to folks' houses. This could shave off a few days for me, living in the midwest.

Not really, standard shipping for iPhones are sent via Next Day air to the final destination after clearing customs through UPS (Louisville) or FedEx (Memphis). The reason it's "Standard" is because customs can sometimes eat up a few days. Hopefully mine comes UPS so no forwarding is necessary and gets sent straight to my delivery hub.

wermy

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2013
Not really, standard shipping for iPhones are sent via Next Day air to the final destination after clearing customs through UPS (Louisville) or FedEx (Memphis). The reason it's "Standard" is because customs can sometimes eat up a few days. Hopefully mine comes UPS so no forwarding is necessary and gets sent straight to my delivery hub.

Ah, I didn't know that. If that's true then that saves me a while of waiting in a phone queue, and feeling bad for bugging a customer service person on iphone launch day. :p

BMNEUR

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2013
Louisville
Ah, I didn't know that. If that's true then that saves me a while of waiting in a phone queue, and feeling bad for bugging a customer service person on iphone launch day. :p

Good idea. It's not worth the $10 to POSSIBLY get it a day early when your phone will be with one of the first shipment pallets. If it makes you feel better, you can still do it though. Opinions may vary.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Customer service just switched it to 2 day for me for free for my phone and case. It shows 9/27-10/1 now, 1 day sooner than previously. If it works, great. If not, nothing lost.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
I called and after on hold for a hour, I was told it's not possible. What a waste of time! Clearly it was an agent that didn't know anything.

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
I just called and got my AT&T shipping address changed (whew) and upgraded to expedited shipping for $6.00. It bumped my delivery date up to 9/27-10/1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.