Can you change the DOCK icons only?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by markp9114, Apr 23, 2010.

1. markp9114 macrumors member

Is there a way to change the all the icons in the dock only? I would like the default icons when in the applications folder but I just want the icons in the dock to be the only thing different.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can create aliases to the apps, change the icon on the aliases, then drag the aliases to the Dock.

3. markp9114 thread starter macrumors member

thanks! that works but is there a way to remove the little black arrow that is on all the alias icons? looks a bit weird on every icon across the whole dock

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. markp9114 thread starter macrumors member

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Do you have administrator privileges?

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is normal. When typing your password at the prompt, after invoking sudo, your keystrokes are not echoed at all - not even as * characters. This is done for security reasons.

8. markp9114 thread starter macrumors member

ok nevermind I got it! thanks. another question. So since I made an alias, I now have two icons of the same application in finder. Can I delete the alias and still have it working in the dock?

I deleted the alias from find and the alias still works in the dock, except the when I hover over the icon, the name is all weird like "Firefox 11-57-49-064" is there a way to change the name of icons in the dock when you hover over them?

9. markp9114 thread starter macrumors member

thanks I figured that was why so I just restarted my computer and it removed the alias arrows

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The alias name in Finder should be what will appear on the mouse-over on the Dock. You're probably getting the numbers because you deleted the alias.

11. markp9114 thread starter macrumors member

I see. is there away to remove that little grey bubble with the name when you hover over the dock icons then?

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Getting a bit anal about it, aren't we? You mess with it long enough, it'll fall off! :D