Can You Change the Ipod Touch Dock Icons

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by shearer, Sep 30, 2007.

1. shearer macrumors newbie

Hi I got my touch this morning and i was just wondering if it was possible to change the icons on the dock at the bottom of the screen (music, videos, photos, itunes). Just wondered if it was possible to put, for instance the safari icon instead of the itunes one etc.

thanks

2. grimwwr macrumors member

I do not have my touch yet, but I do believe it is shown how to do this in the official Apple Ipod Touch guide that they have for the touch on their website.

3. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

no you cant change the menu icons on the dock but you can change the dock configuration in music. I don't know why you can't... its seems like you should be able to.

4. deanage macrumors member

deanage

if u play around with the files u could probably be able to

just replace the icon u want with the one that is there now

5. gospelgangstaz macrumors newbie

How to Change Dock Icons

yes you can change the order in the dock all you have to do is download iOrder open it and it has a list of applications in the left column put the applications you have on your ipod touch in the right column put the 4 you want in the dock at the very top in order from left to right you want them and then type in your ip address in the ip address spot on the left (to find it go to settings >wi-fi >click the blue arrow to the left of the wi-fi network you are currently using and get the ip address) then back to iOrder in the password spot type alpine then att he top it says N45AP.plist click it and click the button that says save to ipod touch(ssh) and it will validate it then ask if you want to send some type of key thing click no and it will say sent to ipod then on your ipod go to smb prefrences and at the bottom click restart springboard and it will restart then it will be changed

Thanks
    Gospel Gangstaz

6. dellavoce macrumors regular

...assuming it is jailbroken. Which I heartily reccomend by the way! Check out ipodtouchmaster on YouTube. He has excellent step by step tutorials on jailbreaking, upgrading to 1.1.2 and jailbreaking, customizing your icons, reordering icons, etc.

7. chrisburke macrumors newbie

is there a way to do this using mac os x?

8. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Like already said, you need to Jailbreak your iPod Touch first. Go join the "iPod Touch Hacks" forum and start searching on how to jailbreak. There are a few programs, Touch Free is the easiest imo but there is also a jailbreak where you just visit a URL and it does it all itself. There really are no negatives to jailbreaking, unless you are paranoid and believe that the CIA have implants in your brain or if you don't know how to use computers, so you are safe in doing so.

9. aki macrumors 6502a

To mess around with icons and dock in OSX, jailbreak, then install Customize (latest version). It is incompatible with touch ie it will crash BUT if you run it a few times (say 5-20 times?) it will suddenly work. (No idea why but it's true.) Once it works once, it will work forever. Customize will let you change the order of icons, change which icons are in the dock, and change how many icons are in the dock.

10. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

I had success with Customize after downloading on my Mac then SSHing it on. :)

11. itouch2gmaster macrumors newbie

hold on one icon and all of them should start shaking and you can drag the around

hit the home button to plant them

12. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

Not to totally attack you, but this thread is more than a year old.

13. 1GalaApple macrumors newbie

late posts

aspsterling and other like you, I'm really glad people do post entries even a year or so later. It may not help the person who originally wrote the question, but it may help people later who are wondering the same thing, like me. I just got my itouch and wondered if there was some way to change the dock. Luckily, itouch2gmaster wrote an EASY way to do it. I don't like to fart around a lot, I like to get the job done and get on with life. If I wanted to have something that required a lot of work, I would have stuck with windows! :eek: The other ways explained may have been doable, but not as easily. Push a button and hold? Doesn't get much easier than that! :)

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Those other ways mentioned upthread are obsolete -- they are for 1.x OS, and now we are past 2.x and well into 3.x. Digging up this old thread wasted your time and effort reading and trying to digest such old info, while if you had just posted your question in a new thread, someone would have come up with the current and easy answer, probably within a few minutes.

15. Mr. Wise Guy macrumors newbie

YES you can! all you have to do is hold your finger on an app fr a while untill they all start shaking (also do this if you want to move apps from page to page) and grab the app you want (in your case "Safari") and drag it to your dock, when ur finished, press the home button. PLEASE make sure you have a free space on your dock! to do this just drag any app off of your dock and drop it on one of your pages. :) Think the the word u wer looking for was "shortcuts", not "icons". 

16. rls11286 macrumors newbie

i mean - was that really necessary? if this thread is more than a year old why are you on here? even though the OP might have gotten their question answered as long as the thread is still on the boards, it can be answered and should be answered for anyone still wondering. i felt like it was not even necessary for you to comment :confused:

17. iSpaghettiCat macrumors regular

18. lllll macrumors regular

this is why I'm moving to jailbroken ipod and phone. apple is stingy with those little theme and background. can't change icon. can't have different background. can't do this. can't do that. (i still love you apple)

Cydia seem to have all the answers for our most desired apps.