Can you charge an iPad from an iPhone charger?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by smitha96, Apr 3, 2010.

1. smitha96 macrumors regular

2. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I would assume so as long as its a charger that works on the 3GS. I have a couple of third-party dock devices and had a car plug for my original iPhone that don't work on the 3GS. But my Apple-branded cables work on both.

4. cmaier macrumors G3

I believe it will charge more slowly, however.

5. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Can you charge iPhone with iPad charger?

Can you charge the iPhone with the iPad charger? Traveling will be easier with only one charger.

6. cmaier macrumors G3

yes

7. thatisme macrumors 6502

thatisme

From what the techs were saying ... Yes you can use any charger that works with the iPhone, but won't charge fast. The best way to charge is using the supplied adapter or using a full powered USB 2.0port on your computer.

8. cmaier macrumors G3

You are answering the reverse question. He was asking about charging an iPhone.

9. ariomg macrumors newbie

i buy my iphone 3G and 3GS from singapore , can it's charger charge the IPAD i buy from U.S ? i heard there maybe some different voltage , 220V and 110V

10. BiggieJohn macrumors newbie

All the charging bricks apple makes are universal voltage, meaning they will work plugged into any outlet providing 100 to 240 volts AC. It still outputs the world standard 5 volts, so yes it should work just fine, but it will charge the iPad more slowly.

11. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

Its been hit and miss for me. My car stereo and cigarette adapter do not work. One USB port on my computer works, the hub does not... etc etc.

12. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

The actual USB cables themselves are the same thing as far as I know, the only complication with the iPad is that the screen means that some USB ports can't give it the power it needs.

13. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

Does your car stereo and cigarette adapter charge your iPhone 3G or 3GS?

Many (most?) car stereo iPod cables and many (most?) iPod cigarette lighter chargers charge via the 12v Firewire pin found on older iPod models.

Background: When Apple first released the iPod with a dock connector, they provided TWO power pins for charging within the 30-pin dock connector. One pin was designed to be used with a Firewire port (which is 12v) and the other pin was designed to be used with a USB port (which is 5v). For several years, all iPods made continued that same tradition of supporting both charging pins. However, in 2008, with the release of the iPhone 3G, Apple DROPPED support for the 12v Firewire charging pin. They also dropped that pin on subsequent iPod models. The only iPod model that continues to support the 12v Firewire charging pin is the iPod Classic.

Anyway, since a vehicle's standard electrical system is 12v, the majority of car stereo manufacturers and iPod cigarette lighter adapters simply designed their products to use the 12v charging pin. Oops.... Apple dropped support for that pin in MOST iPhone/iPod/iPad products since that time and now those 12v chargers won't charge the newer devices.

So, the most likely reason your car stereo or cigarette lighter adapter won't charge you iPad is because they use 12v, not the 5v USB that the iPad requires.

Slowly, manufacturers are figuring out they need to change their products to support 5v USB charging on that different pin. But, in the meantime, you can use one of these to correct the problem:

[​IMG]

http://www.scosche.com/products/sfID1/210/sfID2/318/productID/1667

That device (and other like it) convert the 12v pin power to 5v and send it to the appropriate pin.

And, for those interested, Scosche also offers USB cigarette adapters that support the iPad:

[​IMG]

See that 2.1amp port, that one is for the iPad!

http://www.scosche.com/products/sfID1/210/sfID2/318/productID/1921

Mark

14. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

A pc USB port is far from high powered. Let's clarify this.

Pc/mac - 5v @ 500ma
    iPhone power brick - 5v @ 1000ma
    ipad powerbrick - 5v @ 2100ma

15. cmaier macrumors G3

Not entirely true. Some USB ports support the 1A spec.

16. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Yes on a shared bus

17. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

According to apple you can not use the same charger for the iPad as your iPhone. The wattage is different. It may appear to work but you will not get the proper full charge. The iPad charger is a 10 watt charger and is larger than the standard iPhone or iPod charger. It also takes longer to charge a iPad.

18. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

But can you use the iPad power brick to charge an iPhone or iPod? Will the 10-watts fry the iPod?

When travelling, it would be very nice to only have to carry one charger.

19. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, the Apple Store sells two chargers that each work for iPods/iPhones/iPads.

20. krnboy503 macrumors regular

I've been charging mine in the car whenever im on the road. Works with the USB car adapter I bought from frys.

21. cmaier macrumors G3

Yes. The 10W iPad power brick works fine with the iPod or iPhone. (It even says so on the apple website).

22. pee cee hater macrumors newbie

Is an iPhone charger okay to use if I just don't want to use battery power for extended uses? I'm not really concerned about charging the battery on the iPad, just want to make sure I don't screw something up.
    What about the USB extension on my iMac keyboard, would it be okay to use that in line with the iPad charger so I have a little more cable?

23. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

24. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Here's a question: Does the USB port on the MacBook Air that has higher power output for the external SuperDrive charge the iPad?

25. techn0lady macrumors regular

So Many replies .... so many different answers

:D

Take mine for what it's worth - from a former Radio Amateur. The voltage will be the same in any USB power brick - it's the deliverable wattage in this case that matters.

Imagine a stream of water. You can imagine Voltage to be how fast the stream is going and the current (amps or milliamps) is like how big a cross section the stream is .

The iPad battery is a bucket that has to be filled. The iphone charger puts out a stream going 5 volts fast but it is a thin tiny stream. The iPad charger puts out a stream that is also 5 volts fast but it coming from a firehose. Which one will fill the iPad battery faster? Right.

Both will work but only the iPad charger will fill the battery in a reasonable amount of time. The iPhone charger puts out a 1 Amp wide stream and the iPad charger puts out a 2 Amp wide stream. Your computer USB port puts out a stream that is only half an amp "wide".

Hope that explains it.