Can you charge the MacBook pro 2016 with an external power pack?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gregvet, Feb 19, 2017.

1. gregvet macrumors regular

gregvet

I know that the MacBook can be charged with a usb c compatible power pack, but how about the new MacBook pros? Im considering one for when I'm travelling in the motorhome, but it will need to be able to be charged from a battery.

Can anyone confirm this is possible?

2. CaptRB macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

Yes, you can. The 13" and 15" will both take a charge from a power pack.

A few out there appear to work well and we'll be seeing many more options in the coming months.

R.

3. gregvet thread starter macrumors regular

gregvet

Thanks for confirming

4. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

I think it is also very likely that we are going to see more solar options for charging within the next year or two. USB-C combined with more efficient (and less expensive to produce) panels, combined with energy dense LiCo's are setting the stage for cost-efficient green & self-sufficient charging solutions.

For example, I imagine companies like these are close to offering higher wattage models specifically for the Pro and other mid-watt laptops using USB-C:
    https://www.voltaicsystems.com/solar-macbook-charger

And recently, 3800 mAh 18650 LiCo cells were just announced. The physical size of that battery is so small I use it in my electronic cigarette, and yet it is so energy dense that it has more capacity than some smaller laptop batteries, and the smaller capacity 3600 mAh 18650s can run one of my flashlights at 140 lumens for over 20 hours!

I am excited to see what comes next!

5. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

So the mophie powerstation should be able to charge a 2016 MPB? Just want to clarify.