Can you charge your iPhone 6+ with the iPad charger ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kalebnate, Oct 14, 2014.

1. kalebnate macrumors 6502

Although the iPad charger is 5V / 2.1A, the iPhone can only accept 5V / 1A so it should automatically limit the intake.

But I just want to make sure, any idea (with source please).

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

3. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

4. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

5. kalebnate thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the quick answers, but would it harm the battery to quickly charge it or overcharge (leaving it overnight) ?

6. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

No.

7. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

So if the battery charges faster and isn't harmed in the process, why doesn't Apple have a single charger for all iOS devices? Wouldn't a single charger SKU be cheaper for Apple?

8. donster28 macrumors 65816

Two reasons why:
    1. Portability
    2. Profitability

9. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It would not be cheaper if they had to give everyone who bought a iPod Touch a larger iPad charger. Packaging is also very iomportant to Apple and they would have to increase the size of their boxes.

The device would not be harmed by the larger charger as the device would regulate the charge rate.

10. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

This. Portability moreso, I think. The boxes would have to get bigger for iPhones, and iPad chargers a comparatively bulky.

For most end users, I doubt it matters based on overnight charging habits.

11. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

12. Enabledobject macrumors 6502

Enabledobject

Can't remember where I heard it, but I heard the iPad charger doesn't charge the 6's any faster. Can anyone confirm?

13. eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

Whoops!! I've charged every iPhone I've had with a ipad charger (after 2010)... Didn;t realize that there was any issue at all

14. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

The iPhone 6 does not actually charge the battery faster, but instead allows you, when using a more powerful charger, to put the maximum charge into the battery while using the additional headroom to power the device. That means you can use the device and not slow down the charge rate. Older iPhones would cap at the 1a charge rate even on the 2.1/2.4a chargers AND they shared that 1a for both charging and powering the device. This is why it was possible to get into a situation, say in the car using navigation while streaming music, where the device would barely charge even though it was plugged in.

The 6+ has a much larger battery, and as a result they do allow it to accept a faster charge with the more powerful charger, but the C rate is materially unchanged.

TL;DR: It's perfectly safe to use the charger for any iPhone and will have no effect on the battery's lifespan.

15. rmercier macrumors member

I can confirm this is not correct.

16. kalebnate thread starter macrumors 6502

17. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

There is a mathematical relationship between V Voltage, I Current and R Impedance. V = I*R

It does not matter what the wattage of the charging device is the Current will depend on the Voltage used and the Impedance of the device.

Off course if the charging device is of a lower wattage there is potential problem with damage to the charging device. A higher wattage is never going to be a problem.