Can you choose which tower your IPhone will use at home?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Davesintexas, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Davesintexas macrumors newbie

IPhone Safari running real slow so I found something to do to increase speeds. And found a free app to test before and after. Did the repairs phone on and off no difference.
    I checked out app and saw I could chose my local tower or one 188 miles away. I used the further tower and ran test again. It was 10000kb faster on downloads and only 400 on the other. If I leave the app as is will my phone stick with the faster tower? Sounds silly but I tried same test 4 times same results.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

First off, there is NO way to choose which tower any your iPhone or any other cell phone uses. My guess is that you are using Speedtest.net as the app to test out your speeds. It picks the speed test server closest to you. If the second closest to you is faster then it just means that the local one might be have problems at this time.

PS: I don't know for certain, but I don't think cell phones work 188 miles from the nearest cell tower.

3. John T macrumors 68020

John T

If only they did! :D