Can you close laptop lids in Leopard w/o automatic sleep mode being turned on?

OrlandoTragic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
I use my MacBook a lot for downloading disk images of files I need for work from our servers, but I like to do it overnight as not to whore my bandwidth when I'm online.
Is there a way to close the lid of my machine and at the same time let the system continue running?

thanks!

OrlandoTragic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
Why would Leopard change that? No.
Oh, forgive me, its not like I thought perhaps with an entirely new operating system, they may have included something in Power options to allow you to leave the machine running while the lid is closed.

How utterly STUPID of me.

ensjesse

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
This is a very good question. I like to be able to have downloads and such working in the background while carrying around my MacBook. I know you can set the sleep time in the power options to never, however this does not have anything to do with sleep on lid close.

How do you stop this?

Jesse

Dingo Dave 69

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
I am quite new to macs but what happens if i just close the lid, does it put the macbook to sleep? I always thought it was better to put it into sleep mode then close the lid?

ecks618

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
NYC
My solution always was to put a pen in the edge of the keyboard and close the lid, the screen goes to sleep, but the hard drive stays running, works great and doesnt cause any heat issues.

ensjesse

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
My solution always was to put a pen in the edge of the keyboard and close the lid, the screen goes to sleep, but the hard drive stays running, works great and doesnt cause any heat issues.
Thats a pretty brave move!

I myself prefer a soft solution. But this is a great way to do it in a pinch...

Thanks for this ecks!

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
I just turn the screen brightness down to zero using the keyboard buttons.
in addition to this what i do is set my power adapter settings in energy saver to never sleep the computer and put the display to sleep after 15 min. just adjust your brightness down to zero and its perfect for downloading overnight. just leave the screen open! why do you need to close it? makes no difference.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
This is a very good question. I like to be able to have downloads and such working in the background while carrying around my MacBook. I know you can set the sleep time in the power options to never, however this does not have anything to do with sleep on lid close.

How do you stop this?

Jesse
I don't think it's advised. I don't miss it either... I used to think I did, but I don't.

Having downloads going whilst carrying it around? How do you mean?

If you put it into a bag - there are going to be some real heat issues.

ensjesse

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
I don't think it's advised. I don't miss it either... I used to think I did, but I don't.

Having downloads going whilst carrying it around? How do you mean?

If you put it into a bag - there are going to be some real heat issues.
True, there will be heat issues in a bag. I carry it from office to office, so it is safer to carry with the lid closed and it gets good ventilation in the open.

Jesse

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
If you have a keyboard, mouse and external monitor connected it's fine, you can close the MB/P and it'll continue to function fine.

However, as previous posts have mentioned, there will be heat issues, even when it's just 'on', and almost nothing else.

The reason it's not offered as an option is because a certain amount of cooling is done through gaps in the keyboard and top case, unlike the fan-vent-ridden PC laptops available.

LoneWolf121188

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Longmont, CO
I haven't actually tried this personally, but I hear it works:

Plug in an external device (mouse, keyboard, HDD, whatever).
Close the lid.
Unplug the device.

The laptop should turn on and stay on.