Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kafkayoyo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2020
Hi everyone, first post here. I just upgraded the GPU in my 2011 iMac and I've got a 2017 macbook pro. With Davinci Resolve's ability to locate and utilize multiple GPUs at once, I was just wondering if there is any way to combine two computers (through target disk mode perhaps?) that would enable Davinci to utilize both GPUs. I just don't have $450 to spend on an eGPU enclosure and such right now.

Can't find anything about it online so I bet it's a stretch. But if not, does anyone have any idea on what would make something like this possible?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I couldn't find any info on Davinci supporting cluster computing. I don't think that is an option. Most software doesn't work with computer clusters.

Of course I couldn't picture GPU so many generations apart working like that anyway.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
The only related capability I am aware of is in Compressor. You can combine the resources of multiple computers to render video.

I am not aware of any way to combine the processing capabilities beyond that, say for timeline or import.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.