Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krmedbr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
Considering a thunderbolt external to store our 6TB image database. There are only 2 TB connectors on TB external drives. How can I connect 5 imacs to 1 TB external?

Thanks !

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Considering a thunderbolt external to store our 6TB image database. There are only 2 TB connectors on TB external drives. How can I connect 5 imacs to 1 TB external?

Thanks !

Don't even think you can connect the 2 posts to 2 iMacs.

You can connect the drive to one iMac and then share the drive on the network, wired or wireless, you can do so in the file sharing Preference Pane.
It won't be as fast as direct connection but I think it's the only option.

I think what you actually want is to connect the external with TB Cable to the first iMac and then another TB Cable to the next and so on, never tried this out and I think it won't work although I am not 100% sure.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008

Thanks !

the 2 TB connectors are for daisy chaining, NOT for connecting to multiple macs which you cannot do. What you need to connect multiple macs is an NAS.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
the 2 TB connectors are for daisy chaining, NOT for connecting to multiple macs which you cannot do. What you need to connect multiple macs is an NAS.

Or connect it to one of the Macs (the one that needs the performance)... and share it on the network. This essentially creates a NAS.

Network attached drives do not get very good performance. If you really need the performance... you should buy local drives for each computer.

/Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.