Can you connect Roku 3 to "xfinitywifi"?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vols, Apr 24, 2015.

1. vols macrumors regular

First of all, apologies if this thread is in the wrong location.

Using a MacBook Air, I am a Comcast (internet) customer and have been close to going over my data allowance several times. One of the biggest data hogs (to my knowledge) is my Roku. I don't have cable, so everything that I watch is from my TV antenna or the Roku itself. I have read several websites that says you need to change a Mac address, but it isn't all that clear to me on how to accomplish this.

Just thought I would ask if any of you have tried this little hack? Thanks for any help you can give.

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

To the best of my knowledge, changing a MAC address won't get you around a data cap.

The MAC address is just a device identifier, and changing a device's ID does not change the fact that it is using data from your internet connection.

3. vols thread starter macrumors regular

According to the websites, I believe the benefit of changing a mac address is to be able to log into the "xfinitywifi" network (similar to a WEP key security login).

Because you can only log into the xfinity wifi using a device that has a web browser. Similar to the ones you connect to at a Starbucks...a small windowed browser pops up, confirming your connection. But with Roku, there is no browser.

So I believe when changing the mac, it bypasses the needed browser (somehow).