Can you control the new atv with IR?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by marklight, Oct 30, 2015.

1. marklight macrumors 6502

Like the old versions, does the new atv have an IR sensor so you can control it with a universal IR remote?

2. DDanis60 macrumors newbie

everything else I've seen around here says yes. Ill be a little disappointed if i can't control it from my harmony like I'm planning.

3. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

It does and will work with Harmony remotes. Works with mine anyway.

4. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

Can the new remote control the volume with out a problem?

5. Chapuys macrumors member

It works with my old Apple TV IR remote. Just pressed pause this second and it stopped! Volume doesnt seem to work though, but moving forward and back as well as all the others do. I would expect you just pair it via the bluetooth settings.

6. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

7. mostlycharlie macrumors newbie

mostlycharlie

Has anyone tried seeing if the Apple TV receives commands from your TV remote via HDMI-CEC? I know that it will send commands to turn on your TV, switch inputs, and control volume; but I'm specifically interested in whether or not it receives. I'd love to be able to ditch my universal remote, because I like my TV remote a lot more, and everything else that's hooked up to my TV is controlled over HDMI. I can navigate my PS4, for example, using my TV remote because it supports HDMI-CEC. Really the only reason I have a universal remote is to control my Apple TV 3.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Did you have to add the ATV4 as a new device to the Harmony remote, or did you just keep using the ATV3 codes?

9. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I'd already removed the ATV 3 from my harmony setup, stupid move.
    But I seem to recall that original ATV remotes can operate the ATV 4, so the codes should work.

10. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I keep everything the same on my Harmony and all the old codes work. Same as the old aluminum remote....those work as well.

-Kevin

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Thanks for this. Looks like my swap out will be easy then. :)

12. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Yeah, it was really easy. Plug it in, hit a couple options then place an iPhone near it and it inputs all your Apple IDs.

Only pain right now is the Remote app isn't updated, so entering password for things like Netflix etc are a PAIN with these long complex passwords.

-Kevin

13. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

How does the touchpad/trackpad thing on the new remote get "mapped" to the Harmony?

I'm assuming the Siri button can just be mapped like any normal button...

14. normanfox macrumors 6502a

old remote works but not entirely:
    1) Select button used to do two things: select and Play/Pause on ATV3. on ATV4, Select button only select. it can't play/pause.
    2) you can't do 10 second Rev/FF

holding menu takes you back to home screen. double click menu brings up screen saver from home screen.

Hopefully Apple provide IR command code for Home button. it does 3 things: taking back to home screen, double click would bring multitask screen, and holding it would bring up sleep menu.

15. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

The trackpad also operates a a normal dPad as well (tapping, but not clicking, on the top, left, right and bottom of the trackpad moves one item at a time) so it's just mapped using those commands.

Haven't tried mapping the Siri button, but I'd guess it could be as outside of the Siri enabled countries it operates differently.

16. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I've also noticed things like viewing a movie where you swipe down with the ATV remote, doesn't work with a press down on the Harmony.

-Kevin