Can you copy a Bootcamp partition from MBA to MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johngwheeler, Nov 20, 2014.

1. johngwheeler macrumors 6502

Hi,

I'm going to be migrating to a new Mac shortly, and was wondering whether it's possible to copy a Bootcamp partition (containing Windows 7) form one Mac to another of a different family (MBA to rMBP 15).

My experience with trying to copy Windows installations between different computers has been unsuccessful because of all sorts of driver differences due to the differences in hardware. I am wondering whether I would have the same problem moving between Macs?

Obviously there are a lot of differences between an MBA and rMBP, but can anyone tell me if you've ever tried this successfully?

I'd prefer not to re-install my entire Windows environment if possible.

I would probably do the copy using Carbon Copy Cloner or even plain old Unix "dd", which is how I back up my Bootcamp partition.

Thanks!

John

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

A straight clone is unlikely to work due to hardware differences, the outcome being a bluescreen while it loads Windows.

Your best bet for success is to sysprep the existing Windows 7 installation, then clone it across. Sysprep removes system-specific data from Windows, and reruns the hardware setup process at the next boot.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Buy WinClone Pro and off you go.

That's what I did to migrate my Boot Camp partition from an older Mac to a new one.

4. nerowolfe macrumors member

Yup.