can you copy pictures back "to" your camera roll?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by btownguy, Jul 5, 2009.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502a

Hi all. I recently erased all content and settings as I was troubleshooting a problem. I'm setting everything back up new like it was a new iPhone. Here's the problem. I copied all of my camera roll pictures and videos to my computer. Now that everything's set back up, I want to copy these files back to the camera roll folder. When I drag/drop, it's not letting me. I'm not getting an error - they're just not going back "to" the camera roll folder. Is this not permitted or something?

2. Captain Awesome macrumors regular

Sort the photos accordingly into iPhoto events, then sync.

3. 2good2btru macrumors member

4. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

PC...Vista

5. Moe UK macrumors regular

On Vista plug in your iPhone, it then appears as a camera/drive and the only thing that you can drop into it is pictures. Good job you backed them up, more then once I have done a restore and forgot to make a copy of them.

6. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, I got that part. I can browse to the camera roll folder, but it doesn't do anything when I drag and drop the pictures back into the folder on the phone.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I don't use Windows so I'm not sure, but can't you use iTunes to sync folders of photos?

It's the same as music, isn't it? You click the 'music' tab and pick what playlists of songs you want and then you click the 'photos' tab next to that and pick the folders of photos you want on the phone.

I thought that's how it worked on windows.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That is how it works on Windows, but he's trying to copy to the camera roll.

9. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Yes, that is how it works.

But, also, I think he's asking to sync his photos back to CAMERA ROLL, not the Photo Library folder.

10. Love Juice macrumors regular

if you have it jailbroken, you can ssh them back into your camera roll

private > var > mobile > media > dcim

i forget how to correct it to make them rotate though :(

11. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I don't think you can put them back in your camera roll. If I understand the camera roll it's for photos and videos that haven't yet been synced and placed into real albums.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, then I agree with badandy. I think he's out of luck.

But what's the point...if you go into the photos you see the camera roll and your synced albums all in the same place. It's not like it's more work to get to one over the other.

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I know, but he wanted to be able to get things exactly back to the way it was if after he did a restore and lost his camera roll.

14. jfox00 macrumors member

this is how

Yes, you can copy your photos back to your camera roll, though I have one problem. After I did this, I was not able to view the "preview" screen with tiny thumbnails of all the photos. All the little thumbnails were black, presumably because I did not back them up.

Using Firefox, I use FireFTP (addin) to SFTP into the iPhone. I copy the photos I backed up to the folder /User/Media/DCIM/100APPLE. Once the photos are there, you will be able to go to camera roll, and see them.