Can you customize your own hotkeys on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by realchimera, Aug 24, 2011.

1. realchimera macrumors regular

Is it possible to customize a real "delete" key on Mac? The eject button above fake "delete" button is completely useless. Is there any terminal code that can customized your own hotkeys?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Fake delete? If you're using a compact keyboard, your option is to press fn+delete. fn exists on mobile keyboards to expand functionality with limited keys.

If you're trying to delete items, you normally have to hold Command+delete. It's a sort of idiot-proofing Apple was smart enough to come up with.

Imagine the average chimp-brain using the computer, typing, they highlight or select something on accident, hit the delete, wonder where it went and get frustrated at Apple. I appreciate it.

3. realchimera thread starter macrumors regular

When I use computer to do stuffs, I usually need to open lots of programs and files at the same time. Use one hand to control mouse to highlight texts or files, use left hand to control keyboard to browse through windows and delete stuffs if needed. Now I need to move my right hand away from the mouse from time to time in order to hit (only not the delete) combo keys. That's really tedious and slow. If you Mac experts know if it's possible to make hotkeys, plz post it here.

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

There is the right-click option... don't they have contextual menus in Windows?

5. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Don't know if this is what you're looking for, but if you go to System Preferences>Keyboard>Keyboard Shortcuts you can modify/add your own shortcuts. :)