can you delete all of your apps accidentally?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kingdummkopf, Jul 8, 2012.

1. kingdummkopf macrumors member

i was in the trash, permanently deleting some files i didn't need. i clicked my mouse accidentally i dragged the whole of my applications folder from the sidebar into trash. nothing happened. nothing went in, and the applications folder just moved back.

does mac os x disable this from accidentally happening? or could ALL applications be deleted that way/could any important files from the applications have been deleted?

many thanks.

- kd.

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

most things that would cause harm ask for your password when trying to delete

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

There are some folders that the OS will not permit the user to move or copy, yes.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

The folders on your sidebar aren't actually folders, just links to the folder. If you drag from the sidebar, nothing happens. You'd have to hold the Command key while you dragged, regardless of where you were dragging it to.

jW

5. kingdummkopf thread starter macrumors member

ok thanks. so because i didn't hold cmd at all, i couldn't have moved or deleted anything then? like important files within the 'links' etc.

6. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

You're fine! BTW if you ever accidentally do drag your apps folder off, you can put it back by going to the Finder menu and clicking Preferences, sidebar, and checking the Apps folder

[​IMG]

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Even if you did succeed, you would still have to hold down the OPTION key to empty the trash...You have to be pretty determined to really screw up your Mac!:)

8. kingdummkopf thread starter macrumors member

lol, well am not trying to mess it up... just recently i've been pretty accident prone with my ipad, and then i got a bit worried in case i'd accidentally removed all of my apps/important files relating to those apps by dragging 'applications' from the sidebar to the trash, whilst it was open.