Can you delete file in the save file window?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by realchimera, Sep 7, 2011.

1. realchimera macrumors regular

In windows you can delete other files in the same target folder in the save file interface. Can you do the same thing on Mac? If so, how?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No. The Save dialog is only for saving files. You should use the Finder for deleting files.

jW

3. realchimera thread starter macrumors regular

That's really inconvenient. If you save the file with a typo in the file name, you need to find the file in the finder and rename it. Apple really should improve their OS and give users more freedom.

btw, can you just drag the music from the finder to your ipod/iphone to add music?

4. interrobang macrumors 6502

Oh, yes, so much work. Cmd-click the titlebar icon, open parent folder, press return, type correct name, done.

Oh Apple, wouldn't a tiny one-pane file picker window be so much easier? :rolleyes:

5. Ugimom macrumors newbie

You might want to take a look at the excellent (and IMO, indispensable) utility Default Folder X. It enables both deletion AND renaming of files within the Open/Save sheets. And that's just a fraction of what it does.

6. jamietshaw macrumors member

The lack of functionality in OS X open/save dialog boxes annoys me, too.

The best way to rename a file you’ve just accidentally saved with the wrong name is as interrobang suggests.

If while you have an open/save box open you notice some file or folder in there needs attention (rename/delete etc.), the best thing to do is select the file/folder and press Cmd-R to reveal that item in the Finder, where you can then do whatever you need to do. This is assuming the file isn’t greyed out and is thus selectable in the first place!

You can also use*:
    • Cmd-I for Get Info
    • Spacebar for Quick Look
    • Cmd-A to Select All
    • Cmd-Shift-N to create a new folder
    • Cmd-Shift-G
    • Most of the shortcuts listed in the Finder’s Go menu, e.g. Shift-Cmd-C and Shift-Cmd-G. Just Cmd-D also works for Desktop.
    * Some of these may have changed slightly in Lion - I don’t have it yet

Finally, a file/folder can be dragged out of the dialog and onto an application to open it.

7. speacock macrumors member

I too like the ability to use the file save dialog in Windows as a regular explorer window, but it does have a downside, which is that you can delete files accidentally if you're not careful. However, the ability to conveniently rename a mis-named file is nice, I don't consider it's absence in OS X a major flaw though, just a difference of UI design, there's other things I like a lot less than that.

I don't believe so, I think you have to use iTunes to manage the content. Unless that's changed - anyone? It used to be that way as it was one of the reasons why I've always steered away from iPods and iPhones, if they opened it up I'd reconsider as they're otherwise OK.

8. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Maybe you should find an OS that makes you happy. Just sayin...

9. realchimera thread starter macrumors regular

I found one, and that's windows. I already have a PC desktop and thinkpad. It's like in your life after you find the one, maybe you wanna try another one for fun....or not