Can you determine "build date" from external box label?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by btomasie, May 9, 2013.

1. btomasie macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am replacing my wife's 2008 15" MBP with a new rMBP today for Mother's Day. Am going to buy at Best Buy because I am a Premier Silver cardholder and also they have $150 off right now on the "Ferrari" version (2.7/16GB/512GB).

I'm assuming not many people go to B.B. and walk out with the $2800 one very often, so I am concerned about a potential "stale" pool of inventory. I'd like to ask the person there to cherry-pick one out of the inventory that would be the latest built.

My question is if there is anything on the external label that would help identify the build date on it? What can I ask them to look for, to help get one that has been produced the most recent?

I appreciate the help, thanks!
    Brian

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Is the serial number printed on the box? If so look it up.

I'd not worry about "stale" computers. The latest build will be the same as what was built last month or the prior month.

3. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

That model was only released in February. It's not likely to be too 'stale'. There weren't any changes in the manufacturing process since then, either.

I've noticed that unless you're picking up a model that just came out, it's hard to predict what build date they'll give you. I've had CTO orders that were built 2 months before I ordered them.

4. btomasie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the initial responses.

To clarify, I am curious about this, because (in theory), the newer it is, the better the odds that it will have a revised LG screen and perhaps a Samsung SSD in it (or is Apple aggressively moving off these?)

5. B... macrumors 68000

B...

The new models (aka the 2.7 GHz model not 2.6) have been shown tp have SJA2 (revised LG) but it has not been shown that in the weeks since February 13 the SJA2 panel has been used more often than on the release day. It's still a lottery.

6. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

The early 2013 models may have the new LG screen and a Sandisk SSD. Or they may not. No one has demonstrated with 100% certainty that you'll get either of Samsung /LG display or Samsung/Sandisk SSD. In any event as you shouldn't worry about stale builds. They're all the same.

However make sure you know the difference between the "early 2013" model with Model Number ME665LL/A, and the "mid 2012" model with Model Number MC976LL/A (the key being the first 3 numbers 6** vs 9**). The early 2013 build has the newest Ivy Bridge 2.7GHz with 6MB cache, the mid 2012 build has a slightly older Ivy Bridge 2.7GHz processor with 8MB cache.

If you can turn on the machine in the store you can click on the Apple menu and select About This Mac to know for sure.

7. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

It's also identifiable by the copyright date stamped on the bottom plate.