Can you disable Wi-Fi?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by xxRONNIExx, Jun 10, 2012.

1. xxRONNIExx macrumors regular

xxRONNIExx

My daughter has a iPod touch (New Gen) and I found out she's been using the neighbors wi-fi, they dont have password protection on theirs. Is there a way to disable her wi-fi all together, so she can't get on the internet at all??

2. henriknorem macrumors member

Click the settings app and you're there immediately :)

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Sort of.

Settings> general > restrictions. Then block safari, the app store and YouTube. She can't do much then.

4. xxRONNIExx thread starter macrumors regular

xxRONNIExx

Its not just the internet but also instagram and other things I don't want her on.

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

If she doesn't have App Store access, she won't be able to have Instagram in the first place.

If that's not enough, then jailbreaking is your other option.

6. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

You could, perhaps, ask your neighbors to password protect their wifi network. Or, if they don't want to do that, for whatever reason, you could ask them to filter out your daughter's MAC address from their access.

If you're not friendly with your neighbor, then perhaps you could set her touch in Airplane mode, but she'd probably switch it back on.

It's a tough call for you to make. Perhaps you could replace the touch with a device without wifi.

7. xxRONNIExx thread starter macrumors regular

xxRONNIExx

I don't mind her having instagram but she on punishment so no internet, instgram, etc, but she found a way to get around it. If only she used her powers for good...smh

Good advice not sure which neighbor it is.. Might just have to take the thing until she's off punishment. It should be a way to disable wi-fi altogether...

8. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

You could always just turn Airplane Mode in Settings on and hope she doesn't figure out how to turn it back on.... which is unlikely. If it's for punishment, why not just take the whole thing away? A punishment with music and games isn't much of a punishment. Give her some books to read if she wants to do something besides stare at the walls.

9. xxRONNIExx thread starter macrumors regular

xxRONNIExx

Well thats one of the problems. She has over 100 books on there thats she reads, uses the calculator for homework. She doesn't really play games but she like instagram, and a few other Instant Messaging apps to talk to her friends.
    Only option is for me to take it, which I've done in the past.
    Still I think being unable to total disable the wifi is kind of ridiculous...

10. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

You can - like I said - airplane mode
    (As far as the instant messaging apps - none will work without wifi anyway)
    Or hand her a calculator and bring her to the library for some physical books

11. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Wow never realized there was not away in parental controls to turn off wifi. Seems like a duh move on apple.

12. xxRONNIExx thread starter macrumors regular

xxRONNIExx

Airplane mode only works IF she doesnt touch it...as easy as I turn it on she can turn it off. Theres no password or parental restrictions to put on it. Anyway I took it from her for two weeks...maybe I should write apple and make a suggestion???

13. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

Make the suggestion. Maybe they'll stick it into iOS 6.

Apple - Support - Feedback

14. xxRONNIExx thread starter macrumors regular

xxRONNIExx

Feedback submitted, thank you :0 Maybe if other people write as well we can get it into the iOS 6 coming up??

15. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

It is pretty odd that there are no parental controls like that but Apple probably figures that an iPod touch without wifi is pretty useless and the parent would simply take it away instead of messing with parental controls. Who knows...

16. kaielement macrumors 65816

I remember anytime I had punishment I had all my toys and elictonic devices jus taken away. One time after I had gotten a laptop for Christmas from my uncle I got grounded for what I can't remember but it was probably something stupid and they took it away even though I needed it to write a report and I had to beg them to let me use a computer and because they didn't wante I the Internet I rmber my mom sitting in the room while I typed my report. It's not like my parents were nazis or anything and I can only remember like one or two times ever having stuff taken away.

17. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Just warn your neighbors that a WiFi network without a password is dangerous, they will then probably put one on, then your problem is solved.

18. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Set the parental restrictions and for apps that are not part of it, just delete them from the touch and when the punishment is over just re-download them.

19. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yes, and if backed up to a computer the app should be the same as you left it.