Can you do skype to skype call with iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yalag, Apr 7, 2009.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

2. aok1975 macrumors 6502

why not.

3. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

coz how would it ring? do you need both phones with app open or something?

4. aok1975 macrumors 6502

yep

5. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

For the time being, at least until Apple finalizes its new firmware with official push notification support, you're right: The app would already have to be open on the receiving end for the call to go through.

6. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Logically, if an app cannot run in the background and the phone has no way of receiving notification of an incoming call, you have to keep the app running in order to get the call.

7. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

yes logically I understand that, but I just wanted to confirm that this is actually possible right now with the skype app and someone has done it.

8. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

It is possible, you're just not searching hard enough.

9. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Yes, it is possible.
    Yes, I have done that.

10. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I assume this is possible on a jailbroken phone using backgrounder.

11. ottoman1384 macrumors newbie

So come June with 3.0, we should see Skype updated to get push notification, which would notify us of incoming calls. right?

This would be pretty awesome...

12. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Possible but AT&T might do something about it. Imagine if you are somewhere you can get WiFi at all-time (which is in many places now), you could potentially never use AT&T service again. Touch is as good as a phone come 3.0.

13. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Then again, as long as AT&T continues to require you to use an "iPhone-approved" plan whenever you connect your iPhone to their network, they will still get a payment for your monthly allotment of talk minutes, even if you never actually use them.

I think as soon as AT&T gave its implicit approval (or rather, failed to give its explicit disapproval) for VoIP to run on the iPhone in the first place (with the caveat that the actual streaming audio wasn't permitted to travel over their cellular service), it was only a matter of time before background apps, or push notification, or some other mechanism, would give rise to a version of Skype that can automatically notify the user of incoming calls.

14. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Well, logically if you are ALWAYS in a place with wifi, you can simply trade your iPhone in for a Touch, which cuts off AT&T. So, push notification in combination of VOIP app could potentially cut AT&T's revenue back in terms of subscription.

Although Touch has nothing to do with AT&T, if such practice becomes popular, AT&T should and will make fuss about allowing such app in any iPhone as counter measure.

15. ViPa macrumors 6502a

i dont see why you wouldnt be able to do skype to skype using 2 iphones

16. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Admittedly, this situation is lose-lose for AT&T.

As you imply, AT&T has no say whatsoever about what Apple does or doesn't allow users to do with an iPod touch. I'd bet full service Skype is here to stay on that platform.

So that leaves AT&T backed in a corner. If they try to outright prohibit any form of Skype from running on the iPhone, then they'll be alienating a certain set of potential customers who will choose the iPod touch with Skype instead. Customers who don't know or care about Skype won't be affected.

On the other hand, if they allow Skype to run (either fully uninhibited, or with restrictions such as no streaming over 3G), then some of those customers might choose to maintain at least a basic level of service for the odd situation where they go somewhere WiFi isn't available. Customers who don't know or care about Skype still won't be affected.

17. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

i think its time for apple to end its "special relationship" with at&t, too much harm is being done to the platform.

18. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

You guys talk about wifi as if it were free and readily available. What am I missing here? I can get wifi at home AEBS andbone orteo hotspots around town that I've stumbled upon. That's it. Certainly not enough to even think about dumping my cell service!

19. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

In some areas around me it readily available. There are some towns that offer free wifi throughout the whole town (I love working in these town, I turn on the wifi on my iPhone and go on the internet and "work" :D ). Every place I pass has free wifi, and there are also sub-divisions that offer free wifi to everyone. At one point Chicago was going to offer free wifi for the whole city, but I think that went into the trashcan.

20. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

does the ipod touch have a mic? If not, how do you use the phone part of skype on it?

In many places in the country, most I imagine, wifi is still not so readily available to the masses. I keep mine locked down because of the leechers. Maybe that sounds cold, but i don't need illegal activity being traced back to my ip.

21. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

That's insane. There are only two or three publicly available, free wifi hotspots in all of Tokyo, possibly even Japan.

22. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Exactly. Even going to places like malls and busy areas, I still don't have wifi...

23. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

The 2nd generation iPod touch can use Apple's standard headphone+mic.

The 1st generation iPod touch can only use mic accessories that plug in through the dock connector.