Can you downgrade 3.1 to 3.0.1?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Westin, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Westin macrumors regular

I have 3.1... but i want to revert to 3.0.1 so i can jailbreak my phone... is this possible?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Just put the device into DFU mode, and press Option + Restore in iTunes and choose the 3.0 file.

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You should be able to JB right after restore, but since the baseband was updated, unlocking may be awhile.

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

+1. But I will add that the Dev Team has expressed doubt that they will be able to unlock the new baseband. At least they haven't found any exploit for it yet and are warning people in no uncertain terms not to upgrade until they have created a tool to upgrade the firmware without updating the baseband. I would listen to them.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You are absolutely correct ! [​IMG] There is a possibility the unlock might never happen.

6. bigpatky macrumors regular

bigpatky

just to be clear- this is referring to unlocking a phone for use on another carrier (t-mobile instead of at&t) and is not referring to jailbreaking for the purpose of extra features and unauthorized apps?

sorry- kind of new to the scene.

7. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

Correct. Jailbreaking and unlocking are two different things.

8. soundwarp macrumors regular

so will we be able to jialbreak if we update to 3.1 if we have our ibss files?

9. refuserefuse macrumors newbie

Clarification

Referring back to the previous jailbreak when we needed to take great care to not update the firmware.

Does this mean there is no way to have a jailbroken phone on 3.0 Software and also be unlockable i.e. can I upgrade to the 3.0 software with out upgrading my firmware if I have not already done so.

Or is it just in this person's case sense he was already running 3.1 (which presumably had newer firmware)

thanks

10. flexxy macrumors newbie

I stupidly clicked update so now have iphone 3.1. How do you restore a 3G to 3.01? Tired downloading the 3.01 and alt clicking restore but still get the error from itunes (old update). What do i do please

Sorry if it is stupid

11. jw12345678 macrumors member

jw12345678

downgrading back from 3.1

Does anyone know where to find the 3.01 files? (iPhone 3g (not 3gs)

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Read the provided link, there is no downgrade.

You have to wait. It may be a week or it may be several months.

13. rendez2k macrumors 6502

rendez2k

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

What's being said is...

If you ugraded to 3.1 in a hurry there is NO downgrade

If you let Cydia save those files he may be able to write a downgrade at some point.

If you let PR save those files there may be a downgrade but he doesn't plan on writing the software.

15. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Correction, if it's a 3GS, not yet. If the iPhone's ECID was saved or if the iBSS and iBEC files were captured, it's possible to restore just not until a utility is crafted that will "sign" the firmware with your iBEC and iBSS thereby allowing it to load. :)

16. armand07 macrumors newbie

downgrading

so far from all the research I have one I have only found one way that takes a little bit more than a typical downgrade but follow this link and read everything. I am just sharing a link. If anything happens it is at your own risk but this way seems to have a positive feedback.
    http://www.blogsdna.com/3911/how-to-downgrade-iphone-3gs-31-to-30-os.htm

17. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

This method will work fine on an iPhone 3G, but they are very wrong that it will work on an iPhone 3GS. Currently the only way to downgrade a 3GS is using Saurik's method, which only works if you have a previously-jailbroken iPhone with its ECID SHSH stored on Saurik's server via Cydia.

18. JMC2008 macrumors newbie

Restoring to 3.0.1..?

I have a problem with Cydia not loading - and had not installed openSSH or iFile so I cannot install them to fix the issue as you need Cydia to do so.

I have NOT upgraded my iPhone (3G) to 3.1 in iTunes. I am running a perfectly functioning iPhone 3G on firmware 3.0.1 which is Jail broke and unlocked as I type this - I would like to restore and re jail break and get a new copy of Cydia back in the phone to be able to add the packages that I will need should this 'Cydia thing' happen again. At the same time I am not sure what will happen once iTunes sees that firmware - and connects to Apple.......?

I tried the jail break again without the restore but it does not fix the problem... crap.

Does anyone know if I can restore the iPhone to 3.0.1 through executing the option+restore command (manually selecting the firm ware) in iTunes or will I get a brick after going through the process due to whatever is going on behind the scenes with the Apple servers and this 'not signing 3.0 or 3.0.1 firmware' thing I am reading about?

I am running Snow Leopard and have rolled back iTunes to 8.2.1 and I am wondering if I restore to 3.0.1 through iTunes - avoiding the 'install and update' option from iTunes, will it work?

Should I also roll back Leopard as well prior to attempting ? (Reinstall OS X 10.5?)

I could then use RedSnow and jailbreak again - but I need to unlock as well and I am reading that unlocking is a possible issue?

Anyone have experience restoring a 3G to firmware 3.0.1 in the last week - NOT having been updated or been sucked in to 3.1 beforehand and still been able to unlock using ultrasnow after the Jail Break?

Thanks,
    JMC