Can you drop the data plan w/ the 3G iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 73CortinaV8, Jul 15, 2008.

1. 73CortinaV8 macrumors 6502

With the 2.5G iphone, you could drop the data plan after you activated (you had to call AT&T and ask them)

Is this still possible with the 3G iphone? A guy in the AT&T store said no, but these jokers don't know anything - he claimed it wasn't possible with the old iphone and it definitely was.

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

I don't think that they can force you to carry the data plan. I would think that you should be able to call and ask for it to be removed if you want or even better yet have them not even sign you up on the data plan when you activate the phone since you are required to activate in the store.

3. skasol macrumors 6502

why would you wanna drop the data plan?

just asking for my own knowledge.

4. jakeacc macrumors regular

I would actually drop the data plan, if I had the chance. I work and live in downtown San Francisco so there is free wifi on every corner.

5. 73CortinaV8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Because I don't have any interest in using the device as a mobile browser.

I want a phone + ipod.

I would save myself a chunk of change if I could eliminate the data plan.

6. stoppard macrumors member

You may not want to drop the data plan because if you do, data access will still be enabled on your phone and you may incur very large charges through passive use or when it switches from wifi to edge.

7. bjquach macrumors 6502

Drop the plan and ask them to add WIX block on your account so everytime you try to access the internet with data, it will not connect

8. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

I think I incurred some data fees on the original iPhone so yes, do get the block!

9. Knolly macrumors 6502a

They should be able to. I ordered the iPhone from an ATT store and the person I ordered it from said it would automatically be added on when it gets activated but he'll take it off for me.

10. 73CortinaV8 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the tip

11. fortmajor macrumors newbie

did you have any luck with dropping the data plan?

12. jfreak623 macrumors 6502

yes you can

You can get it taken off. When I got my iphone 3g they forgot to add it on so I actually had to call and have it put on. But yes, you can def do it!

13. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

can you drop the 3G plan and go for only Edge?

14. harodude macrumors regular

That would be pretty pointless I think.

From the information in Core ATT stores and from CSR people.... ANY DATA PLAN will cover any version of the data... So lets say you have the original iPhone data plan, it will still cover the 3G data side of it...

If you can get the $15 media net, it would cover the Edge and 3G!!

They just dont want you to know that you can get a lower priced data plan, and still cover your higher "3G" data.

15. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

I just would rather pay $20 than $30 for data since although i'm in a 3G coverage area its not worth $10 more for faster data, cause data is data

16. fortmajor macrumors newbie

so has ne1 on here actually have there data plan dropped yet? and if so did they give you a hard time about it?

17. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

Coming from someone who has no data plan with a first gen iphone, I was originally under the impression that you should be able to cancel it from the 3G. It seemed reasonable since ATT brought back the ability to adjust the data plan online right before the 3G came out.

However, after turning the data plan on last week for a trip, I came back and found I couldn't turn it off online anymore. I called the ATT rep (611) and she was able to turn it back off for me (it's prorated to the following bill btw). We got into a talk about the 3G and she told me everyone there where she works is being told NOT to allow anyone with a 3G to cancel the data plan, only the first gen folks.

So if someone finds a way to cancel it, through means that aren't a mistake on ATT's part, let us know the secret.

18. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

I called and they dropped the data plan, no question ask.