Can you edit 5D mark II footage in FCP 6?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Nostromo, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

Hi guys,

Is there are way to edit 5D mark II footage on FCP 6, e.g. by converting it to a different format?

If possible, would this be a poor way to do it?

I would need to upgrade my hardware to run FCP X - which I don't want to do right now.

Thanks!

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You can convert it to ProRes 422. If you are on an older machine that struggles with ProRes you can also convert it to DVCPro HD. ProRes is a better codec but DVCPro HD is less CPU intensive.

Lethal

3. Nostromo thread starter macrumors 65816

Nostromo

Thanks.

I'm on a 24" iMac with 3Gb RAM, the last one with matte display (which is why I avoid upgrading for now - I like the display. The iMac upgrade path is not for me right now - not because of the glossiness, but because of the thick glass between the image and my eyes).

I guess it will be DVDPro HD then.

I see there's only 720p available in this format, and 1080 only in interlaced format. I will be publishing to the web, so interlaced is out.

4. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Your iMac should be able to handle ProRes pretty easily, provided that you don't go too crazy on the number of simultaneous streams and have a relatively fast external FW drive for scratch.

5. Nostromo thread starter macrumors 65816

Nostromo

I have a G-Tech FireWire 800 Drive (1Tb), which uses a Hitachi Drive inside.

6. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

Because you are outputting to the web, and not cutting a master to tape, nothing stops you from editing the DVCPRO HD 1080i50 / 1080i60 (PAL / NTSC) sequence preset to 1080p.

When you have a project open, edit the sequence settings so that Field Dominance is set to "None" and change Quicktime Video Compressor to DVCPRO HD 1080p25 / 1080p30.

I haven't checked in the Compressor app, but I know MPEG Streamclip can convert your 5D mk II footage to DVCPRO HD progressive footage.

Ideally you should test a couple of clips in both DVCPRO HD and PRORES 422 codecs and pick the one that is easiest on your system.

7. Nostromo thread starter macrumors 65816

Nostromo

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I take it, that DVCpro HD could be tougher on my older iMac than ProRes?

8. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

As I said, choose 10 clips and convert them once to DVCPRO HD and once to PRORES 422. Test them out in FCP with their respective sequence settings and you'll have to make your own judgement on what is best. Look at sequence rendering, file sizes, resolution, and pick your favorite. Both formats will be fine for web output.

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

DVCPro HD is a much older codec and plays like butter on G4 laptop. ProRes is newer and higher quality but also much more CPU intensive.

Like initialsBB said, you should do some tests for quality and to see how your machine handles ProRe, but I can tell you right now it will have no problems w/DVCPro HD.

Lethal

10. Nostromo thread starter macrumors 65816

Nostromo

Thanks. I will definitely do tests before committing to a format.