Can you edit Gmail settings from iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by m i k e, Sep 28, 2008.

1. m i k e macrumors member

I use the mail fetching feature in Gmail to consolidate multiple email accounts into one and sometimes I go into my settings and click "Check mail now" if it has not attempted to fetch any emails in a while. Before I buy an iPod Touch I was wondering if I would be able to go into the Gmail settings and do this with the Gmail Application.

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Strange, I went to mail.google.com on my iPhone and the Settings page is different than from viewing on a computer. There's no "Check mail now" button.

However, the Mail app an iPhone or iPod touch can handle multiple email accounts. The Mail icon will show the total number of new email from all accounts. You can either wait for it to fetch the email or when you manually launch the mail app, it will check email from all accounts.

Note: to switch to different accounts you need to navigate from the current inbox, back to the account, back to all accounts (view which has new email), select the account (with new email), select inbox.

3. m i k e thread starter macrumors member

Is this done through IMAP? Will it show my Gmail labels? Basically I'd like to still keep everything consolidated within Gmail because I want sent emails to be stored on my Gmail account and I frequently use the Gmail feature that allows me to send from different email addresses. I don't want to setup separate accounts on the iPod Touch.

Thanks.

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I just tried to create an email from mail.google.com and it wouldn't give me the option to choose which email address to send from. Though I can do this on a computer browser.

It seems like the Touch won't be able to do what you need. Unless someone else has a suggestion.

5. buckethead macrumors newbie

I have my email set up the same way you do - multiple accounts flowing into one inbox with separate reply addresses - and have had my new touch a couple of days now. The Touch will half do what you want. You can set up IMAP and all labels will be set up as folders, but you can not send from different accounts out. You will only be able to send from the main account you have everything flowing into.