Can you edit iTunes remotely?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by supercooled, Apr 2, 2008.

1. supercooled macrumors 6502a

I am liking the idea of setting up an iTunes server using a Mac Mini but I haven't been able to search the answer I'm looking for. For all intents and purposes, this will be a headless server. Is it possible to allow permission for a remote iTunes application to edit the files, make playlist, etc ? My concern is that the Mini will be too slow or too resource starved to run virtual desktop.

Any ideas of an elegant solution to this problem?

Thanks

2. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

If both the "client" and your Mac Mini run on 10.5, your best option would be screen sharing I guess.

3. supercooled thread starter macrumors 6502a

Works great. Although I'm testing this from my notebook to the Mac Pro. I don't think the Mini will be as robust.

Thanks for the tip.

4. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

One thing I was thinking about was using something like Airport to hook the external HD(s) to my network and leave both the music and the library file itself on that shared drive, so all clients would open the library from its remote collection instead of only one Mac acting as a server, sharing all the tunes to all other Macs over iTunes.

Changes made on machine A would only be visible on machine B as soon as it gets restarted, but that shouldn't be too much of an issue. The two problems I can think of with this solution would be that, to ensure consistency inside the library, the external drives need to be mounted using the exact name on every machine (no problem with a Mac-only network I guess) to have the song entries always point to the same file path, and whether or not changes made within the library from one machine get overwritten from another machine in case they both have the library opened simultaneously.

If you only use one client to listen to your music, my second paragraph would of course be void.