Can you electrocute yourself with a plugged in Lightning connector?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Seattle1999, Jul 17, 2014.

  1. Seattle1999 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2014
    #1
    Long story short, I was a complete idiot and put a Lightning charger in my mouth. I felt a slight tingle, but then I started getting really worried because the contacts are exposed and I touched them with my tongue. Is there a possibility that I hurt myself aside from the shock?

    Thank you so much. I feel so embarrassed posting this.
     
  2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

    Jessica Lares

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2009
    Location:
    Near Dallas, Texas, USA
    #2
    I've had a shock go through my arm before unplugging something from the wall.

    You'll be okay. If the wire is coming apart, put some electrical tape, or get another cable.
     
  3. C DM macrumors Westmere

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2011
    #3
    If you are able to post this after that, it sounds like you are fine.
     
  4. Shockwave78, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014

    Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

    Shockwave78

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2010
    #4
    Voltage alone will not usually kill you unless it's extremely high...I work in HVAC, mainly on the computer end of things now programming and stuff. But your regular oil burner transformers/ignitors on all furnaces are around 10,000 - 20,000 volts and techs get nailed by that all the time. Sure it will blast you across the room but your fine afterwards :D

    *EDIT*

    Oh and also, all it technically takes to electrocute/kill you on the current end of things is 0.1 amps. Not likely to happen, but it has happened thousands of times and that's why that number is the number settled upon.
     
  5. I7guy macrumors G5

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2013
    Location:
    What Exit?/Saguaro Country
    #5
    Ever put the contacts on a 9v battery on your tongue? I would think this is a similar feeling.

    However, if the charger itself has a current leak like these third party chargers apple does not recommend, I would think it is possible to get a nasty shock.
     
  6. cynics macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2012
    #6
    Amps aren't there, don't worry. There is no residual effects on your body.

    Aside from a choking hazard I'd advise you not to put electronics in your mouth. I'm probably the first member here to tell another member that. :)
     
  7. Jstuts5797 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2013
    #7
    The question I have... And am surprised no one has asked yet, is why the heck would you put the lightning connector end in your mouth anyway? Especially with it plugged into the wall. Was this a dare or something?
     
  8. mjschabow macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2013
    #8
    I did one after living the lightning connector for 10 minutes straight.
     
  9. Shrink macrumors G3

    Shrink

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2011
    Location:
    New England, USA
    #9
    In the service of my ongoing interest in...ah...interesting human behavior, would you mind explaining WHY you put a lightening charger in your mouth?

    Purely professional interest, mind you....:rolleyes:

    ;)
     
  10. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #10
    I'm sorry but I have to ask, why did you put this in your mouth?

    Its low voltage so the tingle you felt is the worst of the shock. Still, its probably not the best idea to put anything in your mouth that charges devices, i.e., uses electricity.
     
  11. barkmonster macrumors 68020

    barkmonster

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2001
    Location:
    Lancashire
  12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

    SandboxGeneral

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2010
    Location:
    Orbiting a G-type Main Sequence Star
    #12
    I'm extraordinarily curious as well. Why?
     
  13. zorinlynx macrumors 601

    zorinlynx

    Joined:
    May 31, 2007
    Location:
    Florida, USA
    #13
    No, it won't hurt you. It's five volts. A 9V battery is almost twice as much and kids routinely lick them without incident.

    For electricity to hurt you, you need sufficient voltage to overcome the resistance of your body to generate enough current to hurt you. The current has to flow across a vital area such as your heart or brain. You have neither situation here, either with the lightning connector or a 9V battery.

    And yes, *technically* it's the current that hurts you, and not the voltage. But sufficient voltage is required to push that current through you. It doesn't start to sting until around 30-40V or so, at least on dry skin.
     
  14. LV426 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2013
    #14
    You might be in big trouble if you stick any part of a knock-off charger into your mouth. That might include being exposed to hundreds of volts.

    Apple-approved equipment is probably safe enough. They will have thought about young kids whipping out a cable and having a chew. But those guys who cut corners and churn out cheap 'clones' don't care about that kind of thing.
     
  15. Jaguarr40 macrumors regular

    Jaguarr40

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2014
    Location:
    Sarasota, Florida
    #15
    I am not even going to go there and answer or ask the obvious. Good luck in the future with your experiments.
     
  16. Tomorrow macrumors 604

    Tomorrow

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2008
    Location:
    Always a day away
    #16
    Not only is this thing low voltage, but it's DC.

    Now I'm not saying it's entirely safe, but...
     
  17. madsci954 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2011
    Location:
    Ohio
    #17
    I'm willing to wager alcohol was involved. In any case you're still alive, you're fine. According to my parents, when I was a baby, I was sticking my fingers in wall outlets frequently, and I found ways to remove those plug covers. And I'm still here! :p
     
  18. eelw macrumors 6502a

    eelw

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2012
    #18
    Probably greater fear of metal poisoning over being electrocuted. And I doubt you lost any brain cells by doing this. But then again, not really sure how many you had before hand to try this.
     
  19. Yester5 macrumors regular

    Yester5

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2009
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #20
    Was this action preceded by, "hold my beer"....???
     
  20. berthaconners macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 20, 2014
  21. whooleytoo macrumors 603

    whooleytoo

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2002
    Location:
    Cork, Ireland.
    #22
    Ok.... serial is for breakfast, Lightning is for lunch... :p
     
  22. 00sjsl macrumors member

    00sjsl

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2011
    Location:
    Hampshire, UK
    #23
    That is a bit harsh, your not likly to hurt your self much with a lighting connector. (well not that way, anyhow)
     
  23. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

    Givmeabrek

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2009
    Location:
    NY
    #24
    I guess the question is where did you stick it before you put it into your mouth??

    5 Volts is harmless enough. Have fun.... :eek:
     
  24. Señor macrumors 6502

    Señor

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2013
    Location:
    United States
    #25
    No, it shouldn't hurt you.

    I'm still waiting for the OP to reply why he'd put it in his mouth.

    OP will surely deliver.
     

Share This Page