Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
So I'm starting to believe that the replacement iPhones are ultimately crappy. They all have the "5K" serial number and I've always had some problem with them. I just got mine replaced last week for cracks in the plastic housing and received a replacement with rockin' light leaks on both sides.

That said, does anyone know if I were to bring my phone in with all boxed accessories if they would exchange it with a NEW IN BOX ( Not White Replacement Box ) one? It's just really getting old.

Thanks.

onlycopunk

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Newtown
Nope, and maybe when you get your next replacement, with all the knowledge you now have, you should inspect it before you walk out of the store with it.

Demosthenes427

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
They gave me a new one take everything even bag back and they will do it usealley!

...Was that even English?!

@OP: Chances are they don't give you a brand new iPhone. They've got a whole stock of refurbished iPhones that they'd be more likely to give to you than a brand new one for free. That's one less iPhone being sold, and it's all about the profit. With the refurbished iPhones, Apple was already paid for it from a previous user and was returned for whatever reason.

wfiphone

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2009
I still dont understand how u guys can change iphones so often. I know now u can back up all data and put it on the refurb but still seems like a lot of time needed

Demosthenes427

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
I still dont understand how u guys can change iphones so often. I know now u can back up all data and put it on the refurb but still seems like a lot of time needed

The better thing to question is why they change iPhones so often. I feel as if they're giving themselves and the Geniuses more aggravation every time they demand to have their iPhone replaced because of a little dust under the screen.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
So I'm starting to believe that the replacement iPhones are ultimately crappy. They all have the "5K" serial number and I've always had some problem with them. I just got mine replaced last week for cracks in the plastic housing and received a replacement with rockin' light leaks on both sides.

That said, does anyone know if I were to bring my phone in with all boxed accessories if they would exchange it with a NEW IN BOX ( Not White Replacement Box ) one? It's just really getting old.

Thanks.

I think it entirely depends upon the sentiment of that particular Apple store. Some are extremely strict and will make it absolutely difficult to get even a refurb exchange while another store won't bat an eye at handing over a brand new iphone.

thelordnyax

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008
Originally Posted by Airforcekid
They gave me a new one take everything even bag back and they will do it usealley!
...Was that even English?!

definitely was, just missing some punctuation and one wrong and one extra letter, maybe i can help your mind understand it...

They gave me a new one. Take everything (even bag) back, and they will do it, usually!

Khufu

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
I was able to obtain a brand new (in box) phone after the third phone I had went to crap. The original phone I bought completely locked up two days after I bought it. I had to contact a supervisor to get it, but I got it. They even threw in an ipod shuffle with it.

Lexoticstylez02

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I was able to obtain a brand new (in box) phone after the third phone I had went to crap. The original phone I bought completely locked up two days after I bought it. I had to contact a supervisor to get it, but I got it. They even threw in an ipod shuffle with it.

Wow, I wish my Apple Store was like this. I've had 6 replacements, and they refuse to give me a new phone in the box (they said it's due to terms and conditions with AT&T). Hell, I talked to the manager and he basically told me I would have to walk out of his store an unsatisfied customer.. he wouldn't even throw in screen protectors after I've had to buy 4 packs due to so many replacements!

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
read your contract

It's up to Apple's discretion, they can give you a refurb or a new one, its up to them.

There's no point in bringing in your accesories and box either, they will only swap the iPhone only if they decide to give you a "new one"

It doesn't hurt to ask, but don't raise hell about it.

It's just really getting old.

wow so basically you just want to get a new phone because your old one has wear and tear ?

Goulet!!

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2009
read your contract

It's up to Apple's discretion, they can give you a refurb or a new one, its up to them.

There's no point in bringing in your accesories and box either, they will only swap the iPhone only if they decide to give you a "new one"

It doesn't hurt to ask, but don't raise hell about it.

wow so basically you just want to get a new phone because your old one has wear and tear ?

The OP did say he just got his phone last week so I doubt he was saying the phone is getting old and that's why he wants to replace it, it sounds more like the situation of always receiving a phone with some problem is "getting old".

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
The OP did say he just got his phone last week so I doubt he was saying the phone is getting old and that's why he wants to replace it, it sounds more like the situation of always receiving a phone with some problem is "getting old".

ah thank you for the clear up :D

This is why I tell people they should just get over it

If there was a "bad batch of iPhones" then I could see why people would want to replace their phone, but they are all pretty much the same, some better some worse.

I'm happy with my phone, it has a little bit of dust, and a little bit of light leak, but its 100% scracth free and works perfectly.

Stiss

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2009
England
If you search for the light leak threads i posted some pictures of my nasty light leak in there, and the episode i had with apple over it.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
First of all, I just wanted to personally thank alphatectz for instigating a fight and then once I called him out on his maturity level he deleted all his insulting posts and filed a complaint against me in an attempt to get me "Banned". Cool guy.

Alright, so for what happened. I went to my Genius Appointment and was told by the Genius that he personally thinks it is ridiculous that the iPhone 3Gs are put together so poorly, but that Apple has told them to stop replacing iPhones for Light Leaks because they are a feature and "within spec". He told me I should get everyone together that I know that has a light leak and fill out a "comment card" stating how disappointed we are in Apple for not standing behind the quality of their product like we have all come to know Apple for doing. I told the Genius that I understand his hands are tied but that this is ridiculous and I wanted to know if there was someone else that I could talk to ... He told me I could "Roll the dice" at another Apple Store or possibly another Genius at his store and see if they missed the memo and possibly they would replace it for me, or I could talk to the manager who would most likely say the same thing and not fix my problem. I opted for the manager.

I explained my issue to the manager showed how bad my light leaks are and told him that they are dramatically taking away from my user experience because I watch movies and videos on my iPhone often. He also said that it is within spec. I then had him open my account and see everything I have ever purchased from the Apple Store with the multiple Macs and iPods and accessories and told him that of every product I have purchased I have been beyond pleased and never had an issue with them, but I truly feel that the iPhone 3G is far below Apples standards and the expectations of Apple customers when it comes to build quality. He then softened up and said he understands my disappointment and as a courtesy he would replace my screen ... I told him that the screen wasn't the problem is was the poor rubber seal around the screen, and he said they would make sure that seal was better when they replaced the screen ... So I reluctantly agreed and 45 minutes later he returned with my iPhone.

Now I have just as bad of a light leak, and a "new" screen that has a small vertical strip on both sides "portrait" that is lighter than the rest of the screen. I should have just kept my other screen.

I will be calling Apple tomorrow and continuing my case.

I know it may sound like I'm being picky, but I believe it is more of just expecting a little more from Apple than what I have received. I have had every other brand of phone under the sun, and NEVER have I had problems like this with the build quality. I don't know about the rest of you ... but I am disappointed in Apple. They have made an incredibly revolutionary product ... but dropped the ball in simply putting it together.

alphatectz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2008
New York, NY
First of all, I just wanted to personally thank alphatectz for instigating a fight and then once I called him out on his maturity level he deleted all his insulting posts and filed a complaint against me in an attempt to get me "Banned". Cool guy.

Alright, so for what happened. I went to my Genius Appointment and was told by the Genius that he personally thinks it is ridiculous that the iPhone 3Gs are put together so poorly, but that Apple has told them to stop replacing iPhones for Light Leaks because they are a feature and "within spec". He told me I should get everyone together that I know that has a light leak and fill out a "comment card" stating how disappointed we are in Apple for not standing behind the quality of their product like we have all come to know Apple for doing. I told the Genius that I understand his hands are tied but that this is ridiculous and I wanted to know if there was someone else that I could talk to ... He told me I could "Roll the dice" at another Apple Store or possibly another Genius at his store and see if they missed the memo and possibly they
would replace it for me, or I could talk to the manager who would most likely say the same thing and not fix my problem. I opted for the manager.
I explained my issue to the manager showed how bad my light leaks are and told him that they are dramatically taking away from my user experience
because I watch movies and videos on my iPhone often. He also said that it is within spec. I then had him open my account and see everything I have ever purchased from the Apple Store with the multiple Macs and iPods and accessories and told him that of every product I have purchased I have been beyond pleased and never had an issue with them, but I truly feel that the
iPhone 3G is far below Apples standards and the expectations of Apple customers when it comes to build quality. He then softened up and said he understands my disappointment and as a courtesy he would replace my screen ... I told him that the screen wasn't the problem is was the poor rubber seal around the screen, and he said they would make sure that seal was better
when they replaced the screen ... So I reluctantly agreed and 45 minutes later he returned with my iPhone.

Now I have just as bad of a light leak, and a "new" screen that has a small vertical strip on both sides "portrait" that is lighter than the rest of the screen. I should have just kept my other screen.

I will be calling Apple tomorrow and continuing my case
I know it may sound like I'm being picky, but I believe it is more of just
expecting a little more from Apple than what I have received.
I have had every other brand of phone under the sun, and NEVER have I had problems like this with the build quality. I don't know about the rest of you ... but I am disappointed in Apple. They have made an incredibly revolutionary product ... but dropped the ball in simply putting it together.

Oh wow your calling me out for what? Get your lies right and I feel the hatered and I love it. But sucks for you and your iPhone. I just simply said cough up the doe for a new iPhone and u won't have any problems.
:cool:

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009

Alright, so for what happened. I went to my Genius Appointment and was told by the Genius that he personally thinks it is ridiculous that the iPhone 3Gs are put together so poorly, but that Apple has told them to stop replacing iPhones for Light Leaks because they are a feature and "within spec". He told me I should get everyone together that I know that has a light leak and fill out a "comment card" stating how disappointed we are in Apple for not standing behind the quality of their product like we have all come to know Apple for doing. I told the Genius that I understand his hands are tied but that this is ridiculous and I wanted to know if there was someone else that I could talk to ... He told me I could "Roll the dice" at another Apple Store or possibly another Genius at his store and see if they missed the memo and possibly they would replace it for me, or I could talk to the manager who would most likely say the same thing and not fix my problem. I opted for the manager.

I explained my issue to the manager showed how bad my light leaks are and told him that they are dramatically taking away from my user experience because I watch movies and videos on my iPhone often. He also said that it is within spec. I then had him open my account and see everything I have ever purchased from the Apple Store with the multiple Macs and iPods and accessories and told him that of every product I have purchased I have been beyond pleased and never had an issue with them, but I truly feel that the iPhone 3G is far below Apples standards and the expectations of Apple customers when it comes to build quality. He then softened up and said he understands my disappointment and as a courtesy he would replace my screen ... I told him that the screen wasn't the problem is was the poor rubber seal around the screen, and he said they would make sure that seal was better when they replaced the screen ... So I reluctantly agreed and 45 minutes later he returned with my iPhone.

I will be calling Apple tomorrow and continuing my case.

I know it may sound like I'm being picky, but I believe it is more of just expecting a little more from Apple than what I have received. I have had every other brand of phone under the sun, and NEVER have I had problems like this with the build quality. I don't know about the rest of you ... but I am disappointed in Apple. They have made an incredibly revolutionary product ... but dropped the ball in simply putting it together.

The reason I have not bought the iphone (3g) is because of all of the complaints I've read and heard about from friends. I plan on buying the new iphone coming out this summer. If I have any trouble with it in the fiirst 30 days I'll be giving it back to them and going back to my Blackberry. Poor quality workmanship I can not tolerate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.