Can you find out if a cable is "MFi" somehow?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by MrMister111, Jun 22, 2014.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68010

I prefer to use Apple cables, with all the trouble with chargers etc, so Apple don't supply a long lightning cable, Amazon (UK) do a "Amazon basics" cable of 1.8M, but I'm unsure if its MFi

Can you find out? it doesn't state it is anywhere, so presume its not, but would like to check. The cable gets great ratings so happy to buy.

thanks

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I saw this saying they are and I checked the US Amazon page and it says they are, so maybe they just left off that text on the UK page?

I have one of the 3 footers and it works fine on my 5S and does not throw the not certified warning or anything.

[​IMG]

3. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68010

Thanks, just strange that UK aren't advertising that if so as it's a decent selling point isn't it.

So no iOS 7 warnings, does that mean it is defo certified then? or can they "trick" iOS 7 now so?

Might try then, are they good quality, I've seen some eBay ones also with a massive lightning end so, are these like this, as can then prevent using in cases etc

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have read about sleazy companies that have worked out a way to bypass that warning so they can pass off their cheap cables as certified, but with Amazon publicly advertising these as "certified" I really would not worry about it.

It is a good quality cable, but yes the Lightning end is a bit thicker than the Apple cable, so if you have a case with a small opening there it might be a problem. I don't use a case, so can't give you much of an idea how big an issue this is.

5. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68010

Got an email back from Amazon, super quick again!

"From your email today, I understand your concern about the Amazon Basics lightning cable on our website.

Upon further research, we have confirmed that the Amazon Basics lightning cable is also an Apple Certified cable or an "MFi certified".

Further, the item has also the same following key features:

Compatible with iPhone 5, iPad mini, iPad 4th generation, iPod 5th generation, and iPod nano 7th generation
    Charges the iPod, iPhone, or iPad with Lightning connector and syncs with your computer through an available USB port"

6. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

heres what you need

7. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68010

Not very good reviews, whereas Amazon ones are, and half the price compared to Apple, and the Amazon ones are MFi certified though.

8. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Many of them are not actually about THAT product as a read will show. Or it is just a complaint about the price. Also there is no proof that the cable that "barely lasted 9 months" was defective versus damaged by customer mishandling and so on.

9. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68010

True, I haven't read them all tbh, why would there be comments about other products on there though?

But it is still a lot more in cost wise, Amazon is MFi, same 12month guarantee...