Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

futurejetblackowner

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 24, 2016
So I periodically check my jet black for scratches and it was always fine until today. I think it's because of my case (plastic end-scene transparent case from target not microfiber)

The scratches are on both ends of the bottom of my phone. My case is broken but only at the top of my phone so I'm confused how it scratched. And the scratches show a lot in the light (they're gray-ish).....any fixes?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
So I periodically check my jet black for scratches and it was always fine until today.

Why? It's a phone, unless you leave it in the box, it will show signs of use. You know, because you're using it.

And the scratches show a lot in the light (they're gray-ish).....any fixes?

No.

Well, I mean, you can't fix the scratches. You can choose to stop looking for them.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Not even toothpaste?

Seriously?

The scratches are gouges in the finish. The only way to remove the scratches is to remove some of the finish in the area.

On a car, they do a "cut and buff." They basically sand down a thin layer of the clear coat and then re-polish it. Do this enough times and you won't have any paint left. I imagine the same thing would happen to your phone.

Last edited:

vince_ross

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2016
Ohio
I asked if you can you fix jet black scratches not will jet black get scratched. He did not answer my question. Try again

Anodizing is usually very durable, but when you polish the surface, you're just asking for scratches. It can be fixed (anodizing can always be fixed), the issue would be to find someone who is able to do it. The micro scratches need to be filled in with a similar material and rebuffed/polished. I suppose you could send back to Apple and have the cover replaced (that might cost major $$$ though).

Anyway, to answer the question....Yes, it can be fixed. Who can do it?....Not a clue. Good luck though. I'm sure eventually someone might pop up that offers this service.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Anodizing is usually very durable, but when you polish the surface, you're just asking for scratches. It can be fixed (anodizing can always be fixed), the issue would be to find someone who is able to do it. The micro scratches need to be filled in with a similar material and rebuffed/polished. I suppose you could send back to Apple and have the cover replaced (that might cost major $$$ though).

Anyway, to answer the question....Yes, it can be fixed. Who can do it?....Not a clue. Good luck though. I'm sure eventually someone might pop up that offers this service.

@futurejetblackowner, this is seriously the best answer you're going to get here.

Hey, why not be that someone? There's probably a ton of money to be made resurfacing jet black iPhones if you can figure out how to do it economically.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
05222014hongbao.jpg

Or try this above.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Enough with the bickering, a number of posts were removed, as they were derailing the thread.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Op, do you have apple care? Wouldn't apple charge you 100 bucks for cosmetic issue? Not sure.

I personally don't believe it would be worth it. The OP kept it in a case and then noticed it has scratches by checking 'Periodically', why would you check for scratches to begin with, if you keep it in a case? Seems over redundant to me. And cases can be the culprit with scratches, which seems probable here. If you can't live with a color that was pre-announced to show abrasions, then you shouldn't have purchased it in the first place.

Reactions: pat500000

futurejetblackowner

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 24, 2016
Op, do you have apple care? Wouldn't apple charge you 100 bucks for cosmetic issue? Not sure.
I personally don't believe it would be worth it. The OP kept it in a case and then noticed it has scratches by checking 'Periodically', why would you check for scratches to begin with, if you keep it in a case? Seems over redundant to me. And cases can be the culprit with scratches, which seems probable here. If you can't live with a color that was pre-announced to show abrasions, then you shouldn't have purchased it in the first place.
For the last time, please get out of my thread.
[doublepost=1480628429][/doublepost]
I don't. The scratches I have now aren't that bad to pay $100. I just wanted to know if there was a quick fix. But if the scratches worsen, I'll consider that.

Reactions: pat500000
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.