Can you flash an HD4890 with only 1 power cable on it?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Novablas, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Novablas macrumors member

I only have an 8800 GT which requires 1 cable, will the HD4890 be flashable in OS X with only 1 power cord attached? Thanks in advance, I tried to search the original 3000 post thread but there were many pages of results for "power".

2. goMac macrumors 603

Not sure I follow. You'll need two power cables to run it anyway, so it's probably best to wait to flash until you have the power cables you need.

3. Novablas thread starter macrumors member

To clarify, I do have both power cables needed to fully power the HD4890, I just want to flash in OSX if possible, and since there's only max 2 power slots in my Mac Pro, I wanted to know if I could still flash the 4890 with only 1 power cable connected to it (temporarily) and 1 to the 8800GT so I can boot up and actually see the screen.

So I'm basically asking if this is possible:

Flash in OSX with no repercussions with:

Slot 1: 4890 w/ only 1 power cord
    Slot 2: 8800GT with 1 power cord
    Slot 3: Empty
    Slot 4: Empty

4. goMac macrumors 603

Ahhhh, that makes sense...

I don't know. I'd worry about that a bit. I'm sure someone else will be able to give you better info.

5. Novablas thread starter macrumors member

Anyone else have experience with this or know of another way to do it? Can I do screen sharing with another mac if the 4890 is the only thing plugged into the Mac Pro?

6. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

your computer will not boot if there is not a efi card present.

some people have reported flashing to work with 1 or no power cables. it does not hurt to try. zeus will report flashing aborted if card is not found or not compatible.

7. Novablas thread starter macrumors member

k I'll give it a shot when it comes, otherwise flashing in Windows or DOS is my only option I guess?

Thanks Cindori!

8. jeanlain macrumors 65816

What?
    Assuming you meant graphics card, a PC card with only a BIOS will allow your Mac Pro to boot in Windows or DOS. Even OS X will boot. I once started OS X with only a PC 4870 in my Mac Pro. No video, obviously, but it did boot. Screen sharing worked BTW, but was awfully slow.
    I'm not 100% sure that the PC 4870 was in the Mac. I may have booted it with no graphics card at all (that works too), but I don't think I did.

9. Novablas thread starter macrumors member

I guess it doesn't hurt to try screen sharing, thanks!