Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

~J~

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2007
3rd Rock from the sun
Since I have a MBP and just cant leave it constantly connected to my TM disk, is there a way to force TM to do a backup whenever I plug the backup disk in?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Since I have a MBP and just cant leave it constantly connected to my TM disk, is there a way to force TM to do a backup whenever I plug the backup disk in?

Well you can manually do it

Picture 4.png

however if you want to do it automatically you will probably have to use folder actions, but there is no dictionary in applescript to talk to Time Machine, don't know about other options.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
My understanding is that once you configure an external drive to be your backup drive, once you reconnect it to your machine, TM should automatically start a backup for you.

Haven't tried this since I have a Mac Pro, but that's what it's supposed to do I believe.

I'd let it do the initial large backup first. After that, the backup process will watch and keep track of all changes, and wait until you plug the drive in again to copy them over.

-Kevin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.