Can you format a hard drive for PC with disk utility?

natatos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
Iowa
I'm selling a hard drive that doesn't work when formatted for Mac so I need to sell it PC format. Will MS-DOS (FAT) work, and does it need to be set to Master Boot Record? I have a PC I can test it on but I just want to now what to do before I try it out so I don't keep having to switch between computers.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Disk utility is capable of formatting a disk as fat32, on paper. In practice, it never seems to work correctly. for me at least.

But rather, if you're not able to format it as HFS, then there's probably something wrong with the drive and you shouldn't be selling it as working... just FYI.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
NTFS is best format for Windows as it has no file size limit. However, you need NTFS-3G in order to format HDs to NTFS format with Disk Utility. Yes, put it in Master Boot Record, it's most trouble free

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yes, you can format it as FAT32. You can also format it as NTFS, if you've enabled that in Mac OS X.

FAT32
  • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
  • No individual file larger than 4GB.
NTFS
HFS
  • Read/Write HFS from native Mac OS X
  • To Read/Write HFS from Windows, Install MacDrive
  • To Read HFS (but not Write) from Windows, Install HFSExplorer

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Yes, you ... ah dren.

Btw, how does it not work, when formatted with HFS+ (Mac OS Extended)? What kind of error message do you get? What steps have you taken to format it for Mac?

natatos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
Iowa
It wont mount mac formatted but does for MS-DOS, I bought it for PC cause I didn't think it would make a difference.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It wont mount mac formatted but does for MS-DOS, I bought it for PC cause I didn't think it would make a difference.
It doesn't make a difference. Any drive can be formatted for use with Mac, Windows or both.