Can you get a refurb engraved?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kuebby, Jan 31, 2011.

1. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

So my Mom happened to mention to me a few weeks ago that she wanted an iPad, so I'm thinking maybe my brother and I can get her one.

I was either going to get one from the MR Marketplace (esp after the iPad 2 comes out) or refurbished from Apple. A big plus on the refurb would be if I could get it laser engraved, like they offer free on new products. I was just looking on the store and couldn't find anywhere if it's an option, does anybody know one way or the other?

Also, if I get one from the Marketplace, or can't get a refurb engraved, where/can I get it engraved by a 3rd-party? I was thinking maybe a jewelry store or something...

2. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

The engraving happens before its assembled... so refurbs are not a part of this. Also, having it done yourself can void the warranty... not a great idea

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

use a sharpie ...

To Mom,

love from your favourite kids. :cool:

4. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just make a nice lock screen wallpaper that says what you want. Or put a nice picture of the two of you. That way she gets the sentiment but can still change it when she no longer loves you when she realizes iPad 2 is out :p

5. kuebby thread starter macrumors 68000

kuebby

Didn't realize either of those things. But I thought I remembered reading somewhere about getting it engraved elsewhere, just if you sent it in for service you'd lose your engraving.

She wouldn't care about not having the latest and greatest, I'm even surprised she wants an iPad at all. I offered her one of my old iPhones when I got a new one and she wouldn't even accept it.

6. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

FWIW, I ordered my refurb two weeks ago, and it shipped from china. So, maybe they do engrave at the factory. If you're not sure, you can call Apple at 1-800-MY-APPLE.

7. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

engraving your ipad is a big commitment, its kinda like getting your first girlfriends name tattoo'd on your back