Can you get a virus from Limewire?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Boesky, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Boesky macrumors 6502

2. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

The viruses from Windows won't be able to run on your Mac. This means they are essentially useless files if you do happen to download them.

There are other Mac programs such as Acquisition (google it) that do a much better job. (If you like to download from the Gnutella network)

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You can get the Mac trojans that are out there, if you are downloading software.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yes, there are Mac trojans on Limewire. Download at your own stupidity risk. People that have to ask these types of questions are more likely to become victims.

5. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

^now, now, be nice

You can't really get a mac "virus", only trojans. I suppose that's trivial to the OP. Just remember, if you don't enter your password, you should be fine.

6. Kugar77 macrumors newbie

limewire crashed my brother's computer several times ( as in he had to a full wipe of his hard drive) before he decided to stop using it...ive heard different results but personally i dont think its worth risking anything

7. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I don't think Limewire is all that likely to carry unwanted code if you download it from a good site. Unless of course the base code itself has been "infected" by the authors. Frostwire is the superior product anyway.

8. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502