Can you get an HDMI splitter ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by agp, Jan 2, 2007.

  1. agp macrumors member

    Jan 11, 2002
    I want to plug both my Mac Mini and a DVD player into my HD TV that has only one HDMI input. Is it possible to get a cable to expand to 2 inputs?
  2. LeviG macrumors 65816

    Nov 6, 2006
    Norfolk, UK
    not a cable but you can get switches

    something like this this is in the uk though but should be able to get elsewhere too :)
  3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603


    Jan 10, 2006
  4. agp thread starter macrumors member

    Jan 11, 2002
  5. balamw Moderator


    Staff Member

    Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    I haven't seem any devices that allow for this, and it's not part of the spec.

  6. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

    Aug 6, 2006
    Birmingham, UK
    Yep, just like Firewire. Why sources have two HDMI sockets and TV's have one, so you can daisy chain. HDMI is a replacement for SCART, which also can be daisy chained, so they kept the idea. Some manufacturers, Denon or Arcam for example, just have one because you can switch HDMI with their processors, which is the way to go if your source only has one HDMI socket.

    Not all displays can cope with daisy chain HDMI, I know higher end manufacturers of flat panels such as Fujitsu and projects by Runco etc. can.

    You can only use one display due to HDCP. There are splitters, but as far as I know they are not available to the general public.

Share This Page