Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tough Guy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2014
I've read posts from people on message boards saying you can do this if you take in a broken iphone that is out of warrantee.

So, can I buy a broken one off craigslist and get a new one for $169?

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
You could probably get one in good working condition on Craigslist for slightly cheaper than that. No need to buy a broken one.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
I've read posts from people on message boards saying you can do this if you take in a broken iphone that is out of warrantee.

So, can I buy a broken one off craigslist and get a new one for $169?

Why waste $200+ on an antique?

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Sorry, nothing personal.:)
Just letting the OP know that it might not be worth it to purchase a broken iphone and then bring it to apple and pay again to get a refurbished iphone 4 model.
You can put a few more bucks and get a used iphone 5 that's in good and working condition.

I agree that buying a broken one and then "trading" it for a new one is a waste of time. However, if you don't need the newest device, the 4 and 4s can still be pretty nice. I have repaired a few lately and I forgot how nice they were.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I hear you.
I guess I'm spoiled with newer tech.
Coming from the latest going back down to the 3-4 generations older device would bug me:D

I agree. It is kind of cool to play around with the older phones to see how good we have it now. :)

I am working on a 3G and a 3GS now as well. They would both still be usable, but the 5 is so much nicer. :)

chuffman15

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2011
Martinsburg, WV
i recently bought 2 iphone 4's on craiglist. they for less than 75$ each. one verizon 16gb and the other AT&T 8gb. i use them as ipods for my daughters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.