Can you get around the app store DRM without jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by stevin, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevin macrumors regular

Quick question..

Do we see apps being able to be imported into iTunes/iPhone the way ringtones are/were without buying them?

I WANT NETSHARE!

2. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

I used my credit card, then payed it off by working. Worked like a charm.

3. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

4. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

There is this funny three letter word called a JOB, try one and don't be a thief. These developers spent hours upon hours developing their apps and they deserve to get paid for it and not be robbed like you are planning on doing. What you want to do is no different than going to a store and stealing an item right off the shelves. Some of these developers are members here, and don't be surprised if they come around and teach you some sense. The DRM is there for a reason, don't be a thief.

5. The General macrumors 601

We can't, they took it down from the store.

The only way to get it down would be to pirate it.

6. DreamPod macrumors 65816

So because you really want it and someone says you can't have it, that makes it OK to steal...

7. stevin thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a bunch all of you brilliant hard working minds.

Maybe if you go and tell apple to put it back on app store I will use the money I make from my job and credit card that I have that is linked to my iTunes account that has been heavily at work buying apps and get it...

Had I known people on this site were so hostile I would have made my title more specific and only mentioned netshare... but then I'm guessing that you 3 arent using it since... that would be stealing from at&t now wouldnt it?

8. stevin thread starter macrumors regular

I'd gladly give nullriver their/his 10 bucks in order to use the program.. you do know that its free on jailbroken phones right? I guess its also my fault that I don't want to violate my warranty right?

9. DreamPod macrumors 65816

But your fine with piracy and copyright violations, not to mention violating the contract you signed with AT&T? Oh, I guess since it benefits you and hurts others, it's a good thing...

10. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

You don't want to violate your warranty, but you are fine violating the law? Would you mind explaining your principles there? There is obviously a reason as to why the app is not on the app store right now, either because the developer pulled it for his own reasons (in which case he probably doesn't want it to be going around), or Apple pulled it because there was a violation with their policy (in which case it would be the developer's fault and Apple doesn't want this app being distributed). Either way, this app is not supposed to be distributed right now and that is going to be how it stands until it is back up on the store (if it ever is). And if I even did know a way around the DRM, I would not be posting it as I would not want to be related to an act that could be considered a crime.

11. G0D macrumors newbie

Nullriver/ installer is not ready on 2.0 phones yet. I have donated lots of money to them for there hard work (WAY OVER 10 dollars)

I bet money they would make it free on installer too

If you have to program share it baby!
    message me if you want to be nice

12. stevin thread starter macrumors regular

Those are reasonably good points. I'm pretty much over this... have fun keeping the thread going. I won't be checking it anymore

13. imacgeek macrumors newbie

Whoa!!

Who said anything about getting it illegally. Nobody on this thread has talked about getting it off of the store of another country. Would you consider that illegal? Secondly, nobody knows why apple pulled it (or the developer to be fair) why, just because the app was taken off do we all think it has something to do with our stubborn wireless carrier ATT? Apple could have a totally different problem with this particular app. Has anyone noticed any other apps going up and being taken back down? I also think that by signing my ATT contract that says "unlimited data" I should be able to tether with my phone, browse the web on my phone, or heck, make my phone a public access point. Nowhere in the contract does it say that the unlimited data is reserved to just the device on the contract. Once someone can show us where it says it in the contract, i will understand.

14. DreamPod macrumors 65816

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/plan-terms.jsp
    2) WIRELESS DATA SERVICE TERMS AND CONDITIONS
    While most common uses for Intranet browsing, email and intranet access are permitted by your data plan, there are certain uses that cause extreme network capacity issues and interference with the network and are therefore prohibited. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; (ii) as a substitute or backup for private lines, landlines or full-time or dedicated data connections; (iii) "auto-responders," "cancel-bots," or similar automated or manual routines which generate excessive amounts of net traffic, or which disrupt net user groups or email use by others; (iv) "spam" or unsolicited commercial or bulk email (or activities that have the effect of facilitating unsolicited commercial email or unsolicited bulk email); (v) any activity that adversely affects the ability of other people or systems to use either AT&T's wireless services or other parties' Internet-based resources, including "denial of service" (DoS) attacks against another network host or individual user; (vi) accessing, or attempting to access without authority, the accounts of others, or to penetrate, or attempt to penetrate, security measures of AT&T's wireless network or another entity's network or systems; (vii) software or other devices that maintain continuous active Internet connections when a computer's connection would otherwise be idle or any "keep alive" functions, unless they adhere to AT&T's data retry requirements, which may be changed from time to time. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services, redirecting television signals for viewing on Personal Computers, web broadcasting, and/or for the operation of servers, telemetry devices and/or Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition devices is prohibited. Furthermore, plans(unless specifically designated for tethering usage) cannot be used for any applications that tether the device (through use of, including without limitation, connection kits, other phone/PDA-to computer accessories, Bluetooth® or any other wireless technology) to Personal Computers (including without limitation, laptops), or other equipment for any purpose.

15. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

^^Two posts above, yes people have talked about doing illegal things in this thread, getting around DRM violates copyright protection and anti-piracy laws, and as the user above me has pointed out, it does violate your contract with AT&T. You can't just assume that you are allowed to do something without reading the terms of the contract.

16. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

I think users assumed the OP was going to do it illegally. There are many ways he could put it on the iPhone/iPod in accordance with the rules. Also, the OP was right in most of his statements, I think someone took them the wrong way.

So to answer your question Stevin:
    Not yet you can't. As mentioned you could use the tool but will void your warranty and such and you seem like a legit person (paying etc) so might want to wait to see if it comes back in the store.

17. DreamPod macrumors 65816

No, he clearly said he wanted to pirate it because he couldn't pay for it. The app is not for sale anymore, so he wants to copy it from someone who did download it and install it.

And in the process have it posted in a huge public forum exactly how to pirate iPhone apps.

18. stevin thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not quite sure what the rules are regarding vulgar language are on macrumors.com so I won't use any... Just think of the worst most vulgar slew of words you can imagine and apply those words to yourself.

It did reappear on the app store... it was and is a front page story on this site.. I clearly did already purchase it now that it has become available... I'd like to thank the poster 2 posts above for his post which was the response I was looking for... DreamPod, go crawl into a hole until you get a life... the fact that you keep coming back to this thread to spread your negativity shows that you really don't have one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.